Hello

I'm 51 this year and realised this year I have autism. It stumbled on it accidently, after discovery that I was probably Aromantic around Pride time last year. Not sure what the connection is here if any. Something about masking came up and hit me like a brick. I'm reluctant to get tested as I'm sort of certain, but I don't want to go through a diagnosis as they might say I'm wrong, and I'll have to believe them as they're doctors, and all of this stress and anger and sadness will be for nothing.

I have no friends as it never works out as they expect to much, or don't get what they want and get nasty. I feel like being nice to them, and giving them gifts would be enough, but it never is. Relationships just feel stupid to me.  However, it still feels wrong being isolated, but it works. I like working from home, but since 2020 I've fallen apart. All of my strategies are gone.   I have nothing to hold onto and I'm so good at following orders, I don't know what do do for myself in the house.  I "pass" really well, but it's so draining I avoid it out of work hours.

I'm still in the resentful phase. I'm listening to "Odd Girl Out" by Laura James. Apart from her having a family, it describes me so accurately that it hurts. I'm reluctant to join this community as friendships scare me.  I don't really use social media as I don't have much to say, and people talk too much about nothing. But I think I want to discuss this.

I know I WILL mask.  I've been doing it for ever so I can't help it.  I have to shake it off to talk, really talk to people about it.  It's all so confusing. I've been treated for depression and have had bulimia for almost 30 years.

That being said, hello. Sorry for the ramble.  I don't talk as myself much.

Parents
  • I think you should consider speaking to your GP about the testing - ask for the AQ10 to begin with - because there are options available to you if you're confirmed on the spectrum - even access to better or more varied care on the NHS. I was diagnosed Asperger's at 35 after a year of assessments.  I'm now entitled to tailored therapy sessions designed just for me and they're unlimited, compared with 8 sessions on the NHS of generic CBT for non-spectrum patients. It does take a while to get confirmed but it might be very beneficial for you. It might be quite uplifting for you to finally be confirmed as traits-only, or on the spectrum and to see exactly where you are on said spectrum. When I got my diagnosis, it was such a relief.

• I spoke to my GP after reading a lot comments on forums.  I wrote a thorough description of why I thought I was on the spectrum as requested.  His answer was "well, you might be a bit, but not much".  he recommended me to NHS. His comments upset me quite a lot, and I didn't want to go though the extended remix of that response.  I had my first session of my 6 week session yesterday. I've done private therapy before, but I just wanted to do well at it, and treated like a course and "aced it".

I originally felt like you about being diagnosed, but it depends on you GP.  I'm black, and after doing something stupid years ago, a black Therapist spoke t me in hospital an encouraged me to say I felt fine.  "you know how it goes here, so say your fine".  She meant black women are more likely to be seen as dangerous and threatening in Mental care system.  Don't get angry, don't cause a scene Even my mother told me that. I told my GP I didn't feel fine, and he told me if I kept saying that I'd be sectioned. These things put me off.  My GP isn't a bad person, neither was the therapist. But, it just made me hide more.

• That's a horrible experience and those staff sound very misinformed and uncaring. I'm sorry you've had to experience this situation. You should definitely try again with your GP (ask for a different one if there's more than 1 at your practice) and ask for the AQ10 (which is followed up with an AQ50, depending on your answers to the AQ10) and if they're still unwilling to help, then you could consider transferring to a new GP. Have a look on Google for one with good, recent reviews. You shouldn't be made to feel gaslighted like this. Best of luck.

• You can only try. The tests originated in Cambridge so you could try reaching out to them directly and explain your GP won't refer you or provide the AQ10 tests. Best of luck.

Reply Children
No Data