25 and diagnosed

Hi everyone. On Tuesday I was diagnosed with autism, after over 18 months of waiting and assessments. Part of me always knew, hence the prompt to go through the assessment. But now I have it, what do I do now? It’s no straight answer, I know. But I’m interested in other peoples experiences. Big thing going through my head is how would things be different had I been diagnosed sooner? What do I do now? I don’t know. I’m feeling confused. Just anything from anyone would be really appreciated. Thank you 

Parents
  • Im 42 and on the assessment route now after being dropped that bombshell on a mental health checkup.  Pretty sure, now ive read up on what autism can do that ive pretty much been struggling with it my whole life but like you said......would i have been better if it was picked up earlier?  I would imagine it would have saved me alot of pain.  People would understand me more.  I would understand myself more.....now that ive sort of got an answer for why i am the way i am, i can learn about it....rather than just thinking im abit nuts.  Hopefully with your diagnosis, you can be more comfortable with yourself.  

I always had a feeling something wasnt "right" but could never quite work out what the hell that was.  I wish i knew earlier.  Kind of pisses me off

• Mine also came from exploring my mental health. I work/ed in the field (autism amongst other things) and began to self identify whilst really struggling with MH. Was prescribed lots of medications, all of which made me feel worse. 

I really feel the same as you! Although, I've thought I am nuts for so long - but now maybe I am just nuts & autistic, and thats ok. Thanks for your message and hope assessment etc goes ok. It was exhausting!

I feel a bit better today and have been thinking there's no point asking what if I had known sooner because the things I've learnt may not have happened, you know? 

Take care

• Mine also came from exploring my mental health. I work/ed in the field (autism amongst other things) and began to self identify whilst really struggling with MH. Was prescribed lots of medications, all of which made me feel worse. 

I really feel the same as you! Although, I've thought I am nuts for so long - but now maybe I am just nuts & autistic, and thats ok. Thanks for your message and hope assessment etc goes ok. It was exhausting!

I feel a bit better today and have been thinking there's no point asking what if I had known sooner because the things I've learnt may not have happened, you know? 

Take care

Children
No Data