Asperger partners are not always a problem

I am a married woman with Aspergers and I will use NT in this post even though I dislike that label but it is convenient..I have never posted before and this is long so don't feel obliged to read on. I feel Aspergers partners are always classed as something NTs have to 'suffer' and this is wrong.

I am always calm and rational. I find my NT partner gets easily hyped up, stressed, impatient, worried, irritable and irrational. I find him hard work a lot of the time. I am not confused by him. I am also not cold or lacking in empathy. I have a PhD in science but also work as a therapist and enjoy painting and playing several instruments. I adore my children and am physically and verbally affectionate with my children and husband,. My husband and I deeply love each other. But I don't fit the stereotype of someone with Asoergers as being easily upset and inflexible. I have had to teach myself how to respond appropriately verbally and gesturally. I almost never get anxious and I genuinely don't feel awe or impressed by much so never get intimidated by other people. My husband gets frustrated that he can tell me about something he finds impressive and I respond with 'that's nice but why is it impressive?'. I am not arrogant, I know everyone can do things I can't or they have talents I don't.  I just don't relate to anyone or belong anywhere. I know how to be sociable and 'work's the room but feel it's a job (one I enjoy but I am very tired and glad to go home like a satisfying but exhausting day at work).

I am very honest and direct and I don't get embarrassed so can be uninhibited but I know how to be polite and I know when to be inhibited as I know what NTs find embarrassing..I also have a witty sense of humour and am fun loving. I am not a sstereotype.i know NTs find my humour and lack of inhibition entertaining andi sometimes play on that to make friends laugh but I am aware.

I follow buddhism and meditate each day. Reading the Buddhist texts gives me a sense of connection I dont feel anywhere else. I feel like an alien. But I am saddened that Aspergers is always seen as the problem in relationships. Personally I find NT individuals generally emotionally chaotic and reactive and I am frequently having to step back, 'rise above it's. Not to sound patronising to NTs but when I watch the news it's like the whole world is irrational and narcissistic.

So when all these NTs find living with Aspergers is difficult and I find nothing but negativity on Google, this leaves me feeling extremely misunderstood and isolated. I feel Aspegers has made me gifted and clear thinking. My friends say I am the calmest person they know. I am stubborn and if I'm working on something can put off eating and sleeping until it's done. I am also controlling about order and germs and about how things should be done. But I am politically liberal, open minded and tolerant. I am not perfect but I'm not something that needs fixing.

Aspergers is misrepresented in articles.on couples where one person has Asoergers. I think I am a catch as much as my husband is. I am not grateful somebody is 'putting up' with me. I am mostly a good person and loving partner.. I am grateful I met my lovely husband because he is lovely but we are equals.

Parents
  • I’m currently seeking a diagnosis but am quite reassured that how you’ve described yourself is very similar to how I would describe myself. I feel like my wife and her family have judged me in their NT-world, which in many ways seems non-sensical to me, and are now struggling when I’m saying I legitimately see the world differently. And it has been disheartening seeing so many articles and comments about how hard it is being with someone with ASD. I think I could be a very easy partner to get along with, so long as I feel supported too. Doesn’t seem too much to ask!

• And it has been disheartening seeing so many articles and comments about how hard it is being with someone with ASD. 

Yes, autism is sometimes very misunderstood and misrepresented when talked or written about from an non autistic person’s perspective. 

Hopefully you feel understood and find this forum useful.

• Confused though are we on about Asperger's or ASD now since ASD is a hole different spectrum on its own but then again why bother getting into the sub catohrise since everyone on here seems to refer to them selves as ASD anyway but actually ASD Is the most servia form of autism rather than a generic term to round up aautisum hence why I have an issue with it being catorgorised as the same as autism

• Yes that is my understanding.

Reply Children
No Data