Secondary school help!

Hi my name's Mel and my daughter who is 9 years old got diagnosed with ASD last year we are now at the point of choosing a secondary school and I am so nervous of getting it wrong! Her current school SEN and teachers feel special school would benefit her more than mainstream and I would like any recommendations of secondary schools in or around Bradford from parents. I have felt very alone in this and don't feel I've been given any guidance on what I should be doing and with covid looking round schools seems to be difficult. Please any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• I see it as more of a curse but hey if it's help you sleep at night then who am I to judge.

• I strongly agree that every Autistic person has a gift and uniqueness. For me, it is the side of me which makes me proud and comfident because it is a very powerful thing but many people portray it negatively but the majority is that you have such understanding of a huge range of people and Autism is a superpower, a strength and one day she and others with Autism will recognise it :]

• I don’t live in the area, so cannot give any recommendations.
    If the school think she’s better off in a special school, perhaps they are aware that there are some things they don’t have the time or resource for, which is all good. I’m sure you will consider everything when making the decision, as you only want the best for her. Have trust in yourself! She sounds like she will blossom even more once she’s settled in to the new school.

Good luck.

• She may be alright as women tend to go unnoticed as far as Autistic traits so may work in her favor. The majority of us Survier case ASD's tend to go unesassed as we do come across as being some what NT like to say an Atypical or an Asperger's. Along with the high functionings they tend to go ubtencted more often too. She may be alright but then again as you pointed out NT or not or Autistic or not we all get bullied at school either way. It's just the way it is in life. But hopefully she'll have it easier than I did cause at least you got her assesed in her earlier years.

• So sorry to hear of your bullying I'm NT and I was heavily bullied she is currently in mainstream primary and she has thrived and I've never had to worry about bullying with her she seemed to be accepted by the children in her year and they have all seemed to have her back from the other children in other years who don't know her who tried to say how weird she is they backed her up and reported it to teachers in the playground, was lovely to hear how they looked out for her, she hasn't grasped being diagnosed I have tried to explain it but it didn't stick and she doesn't see any difference of her to other children around her they accept her and she fits in well. She is very sweet and has massive empathy for others around her. She struggled to make friends but the last few years her confidence was much better and the school helped her form friendships with her peers by starting a buddy system where all children were given another child to get to know and do activities with each week till they all had learnt one thing about each other in the class. I feel special school is the way to go just looking for recommendations of which as it's always good to hear from actual parents or students from the school not just the staff. It's been a learning curve since the day she was born for me, I'd never known anything about autism till I had her and realised she was unique compared to NT babies and children. I feel she is the best child in the world her autism has given her an extra gift the empathy and gentleness of her is not seen these days and she is a blessing to me and all who meet her. I'm very proud of who she is and I just so want to get this right for her.

• Do her a favour and send her to a special ed school. I hated going to a state school. Spent most of my days bullied singled out or in anxity and stress. Teachers didn't know how deal with me so spent most of my time in dention or isolation. A special ed school would be an act of kindness. But then again saying that there are pros to going to a normal school as it taught me how to mask my autism and blend in better with NTs. But there are also implications to masking like mental health later in on in life. In away I feel like I'd of had it easier had I of gone to a special ed school. But going to a state school molded me into the man I am today so not all bad came from it. As much as I hated having to fight my way through 2ndry school and college it did teach me values and principal. But as she's assesed for ASD it may better as at least they'll be aware of it cause I wasn't assesed during my school years.