Relationships

Hi I’m new 

my friends of 6 years ads no longer speaking to me. I haven’t done anything wrong (I’ve checked for confirmation) but now I have to find new friends and I’m not very good at making new friends 

also my boyfriend is feeling emotionally drained by me struggling these past few weeks and is struggling too. He has asked for a night of space what does that mean and how do I help him 

thank you 

• Hello,

I can really relate to your struggles. Every NT friend I have ever had no longer speaks to me, with a lot of them I have no idea why.
    The only friendships that have worked in my life are with other people like me, I dont understand NT people at all.

If your boyfriend really cares about you he will understand. When he says he needs space just give him a few hours or an evening where you dont talk to him but let him know you are there if he needs you.

Never apologise for being you though and he will need to understand you cant help being needy sometimes and he will have to accept this if he cares about you. Just take it a step at a time. When I found out about my autism it was so overwhelming for my wife and still is but we take it a step at a time day by day 

• Thank you for taking the time to reply and for your advice it’s really helpful 

• Where your friend is asking for “a night of space” your friend means he wants a night of time alone. You can help by giving your friend a night to himself and what he needs to recover from his emotional struggles.

I don’t find it easy to make friends myself, I never know what to say or say something they’re uncomfortable about. The two things that determine who people are attracted and lured to are “familiarity” and “similarity,” for all people, it is easier to become friends with people who have so much in common with each other and become familiar with, it’s what they call “proximity.”