hi I’m looking for advice about diagnosis with GP

Hi everyone, I am currently in the process of getting a diagnosis at last! I have been in contact with a woman at my college who is trying to get me some sessions with an educational psychologist but strongly recommended I talk to a GP. So I did, and had a call with my doctor today who has asked me to write a list for him of all my autistic traits. I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed trying to think of everything I need to include, and worried about missing something important accidentally and then not being able to get diagnosed. I would really appreciate any advice or help with this, thank you.

Parents
  • Hi

They won't be looking to see if you have every trait on the list as we are all different.  More importantly I think is that they will want to see if you have traits from all ages of your life.  If you know anything about you childhood right from being a baby then include that.   When I had my assessment a few months ago they assessed the following stages in sections in their form. 

Baby

1-5

7-10

11-15

Adulthood

The traits are very different for males and females and I don't know which you are, so I would suggest that you read up on and then just be honest and put what you think you are like. Your message to me sounds like a woman (sorry if you are a man) and I didn't realise that I had autistic traits until I read up about it.  I found this website useful... 

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/women-autism-spectrum-disorder/202104/10-primary-signs-autism-in-women?amp

I hope that it goes well. 

• Hi

They won't be looking to see if you have every trait on the list as we are all different.  More importantly I think is that they will want to see if you have traits from all ages of your life.  If you know anything about you childhood right from being a baby then include that.   When I had my assessment a few months ago they assessed the following stages in sections in their form. 

Baby

1-5

7-10

11-15

Adulthood

The traits are very different for males and females and I don't know which you are, so I would suggest that you read up on and then just be honest and put what you think you are like. Your message to me sounds like a woman (sorry if you are a man) and I didn't realise that I had autistic traits until I read up about it.  I found this website useful... 

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/women-autism-spectrum-disorder/202104/10-primary-signs-autism-in-women?amp

I hope that it goes well. 

Children