Hello

Hi there

I am a the start of getting assessed for autism - having learned more and more about how women present I realise I fit the bill and am relieved to be honest. I have 3 sons - the youngest is autistic, non speaking, learning disabled, the other 2 have significant autistic traits but are not diagnosed. It answers so many questions for me, my not quite fitting in, not getting things quite right, speaking my mind and losing friends, masking, mimicking, using alcohol as a coping mechanism, feeling like a fake, obsessive interests, sensory issues, super sensitive hearing and smell - there are 1001 things! Has anyone else used drugs and alcohol ‘fit in’ or ‘cope’? 

Parents
  • Hi, I thought it was just me. I use alcohol to kill the inner me off so if I have to go to a social occasion i am able to function as then I feel nothing. I tried antidepressants but after a few months stopped them as I felt no different. I’m at the start of my journey as well, I’ve felt so much better since realising what I am. 
    we had someone staying at the weekend, I was feeling anxious and angry so I made an excuse and went to bed. 
    I thought it was better to take myself out of the situation than ruin the evening for everyone else.  Got my first appointment on the 23rd. 
    Good luck with your journey.

• I’ve just emailed my screening forms to the assessment centre. I hope it doesn’t take too long - I’ve not slept very well and have a headache now Tired face

• You have done the hard bit, try and relax now, I know it’s easier said than done. 
    I’m  anxious just writing this, it’s the what if no one believes me?

Reply Children
No Data