Hello

Hi there

I am a the start of getting assessed for autism - having learned more and more about how women present I realise I fit the bill and am relieved to be honest. I have 3 sons - the youngest is autistic, non speaking, learning disabled, the other 2 have significant autistic traits but are not diagnosed. It answers so many questions for me, my not quite fitting in, not getting things quite right, speaking my mind and losing friends, masking, mimicking, using alcohol as a coping mechanism, feeling like a fake, obsessive interests, sensory issues, super sensitive hearing and smell - there are 1001 things! Has anyone else used drugs and alcohol ‘fit in’ or ‘cope’? 

Parents
  • Hello, and welcome to the forum!  I totally relate to the relief you’re feeling - I’ve been the same since finding out I’m autistic, too.

When I was younger I used alcohol to try and lose my social inhibition so that I would fit in with others.  I’m much happier being myself now, though.  Slight smile

• That’s good to hear, it became a problem for me but I have not had alcohol for 4 weeks now and am using lots of relaxation techniques to stay calm 

Reply Children