Making friends via gaming

Hi, my daughter (21) would like to make friends with people with similar interests via gaming. She is on a 2 year break from university due to severe anxiety, agoraphobia and feels isolated but at the same time finds social interaction exhausting. She is really getting into pc gaming using games from Steam, but also has ps4. I was trying to do a bit of research for her to find best ways. I found something called Discord sites but I couldn't work out how to make sure it's a friendly site. My daughter is pretty savvy about keeping herself safe online so wouldn't be in danger of exploitation. However, she would find it upsetting if someone she felt she'd started to make a connection with turned out to be not very nice. She's stopped playing ps4 games online because of in game behaviour of a few people. She does find it hard to trust people now. She finds it easier to connect with people if there is a shared interest. Does anyone have any suggestions of appropriate ways to connect via gaming?

Thanks 

Parents
  • My steam community page is in my profile. Add me if you want, just make sure you tell me where you're coming from Slight smile

As for specific communities, most of them revolve around the game in question that your daughter enjoys playing. I myself am part of several online discord communities, but very few of them know that I'm on the autistic spectrum.

The games which I play are now predominantly PvE games, as I don't have the temprement, reactions or the desire for PvP games by and large. PvE games are also steeped in lore, and most of it makes for interesting reading. Currently making my way through Star Trek Online, having walked away from EVE.

Being neuro-divergent online can sometimes be incredibly difficult, as most competitive PvP games give way to greifers and people being just plain horrid.

I've looked for autistic friendly communities on steam, but I get the feeling that the majority of them are made by neuro-typical people for neuro-typical people to make fun of neuro-divergency. If you find any specific groups that are ASD friendly, please send me a message, as I'd like to join

Regular.

• Thanks that's really kind of you. I'll wait for her to raised it again and then try to casually mention it and see if she can gradually start to move herself forward.

Reply Children
No Data