Finally diagnosed. Not sure how I feel about it.

41 year old female, just diagnosed. I’m still processing that.

I’ve been on this forum for some time but before receiving diagnosis I felt like an imposter so I’ve convinced myself that I shouldn’t talk to people (at least not too much) because I wasn’t formally diagnosed. But now I am. Maybe I’ll feel more comfortable in few weeks /months. 

Parents
  • Hi ladybird 

I got diagnosed at 31. I'm struggling too. I'm 32 now. 

I feel so what I think is angry. For years i knew i was different but although autism was suggested no one followed through on the diagnosis. I got told time and time again i was too complex to be tested. 

It is what i believe usual for autism to be picked up in early childhood. Daily my head screams and i have a complete lack of connection with myself. Even now I've been diagnosed I still am unsure so I can relate to your thread. 

I dont know if it will ever get easier or if this is just the foundation of myself. All I know is its tiring and confusing and hard and I hate how I cant see and enjoy the life I love fully. The people around me and the beauty nature offers. 

I question every day who I am. I have been incorrectly diagnosed prior with bipolar 3 years of my life I was drugged up on a medication that I should of been prescribed. I cant trust professionals. I cant trust family. I dont understand why no one knew I was autistic if after so many years fighting for answers one psych after talking to me on a phone for 5 minutes diagnosed me with autism and told me It was super clear and obvious that I am autistic. 

Who knows. Hang in there. 

• Hi ladybird 

I got diagnosed at 31. I'm struggling too. I'm 32 now. 

I feel so what I think is angry. For years i knew i was different but although autism was suggested no one followed through on the diagnosis. I got told time and time again i was too complex to be tested. 

It is what i believe usual for autism to be picked up in early childhood. Daily my head screams and i have a complete lack of connection with myself. Even now I've been diagnosed I still am unsure so I can relate to your thread. 

I dont know if it will ever get easier or if this is just the foundation of myself. All I know is its tiring and confusing and hard and I hate how I cant see and enjoy the life I love fully. The people around me and the beauty nature offers. 

I question every day who I am. I have been incorrectly diagnosed prior with bipolar 3 years of my life I was drugged up on a medication that I should of been prescribed. I cant trust professionals. I cant trust family. I dont understand why no one knew I was autistic if after so many years fighting for answers one psych after talking to me on a phone for 5 minutes diagnosed me with autism and told me It was super clear and obvious that I am autistic. 

Who knows. Hang in there. 

Children
No Data