A new identity, same old self

I was diagnosed with ASC, or ASD, this February at the age of 59. I also have a few other comorbidities thrown in for good measure. So now I have a new identity, as an Autist, which is an interesting phenomenon at my age. However, I am still the same person I always was, and, ironically, I was always autistic. The diagnosis was liberating, it gave me insight into why I have always had certain difficulties and limitations; and also allowed me to forgive myself for some failings. I am not a rather ill-adjusted and awkward neurotypical, but an autistic person who has worked rather effectively at adjusting to a world that is quite hostile to me. 

I only wish that I had been aware of adult autism traits much earlier. I was only aware of the 'Rain Man'/'Sheldon Cooper' stereotypes before, completely by chance, I happened to stumble across a description of autistic traits and identified very many with my own characteristics.

As a potted biography, I am married with two children; I worked in bio-medical research in two universities for 24 years, and was then a manager of scientific facilities in a university research institute for another 10 years, before taking early retirement last year.

Parents Reply Children
No Data