Is it Autism and/or Mental Health?

I’m struggling with many aspects of life. Being female, Autistic with mental health issues, parenting, anxiety. Any women feeling the same?

Parents
  • I am the same minus the parenting - I'm a student at uni. I live alone (couldn't find a flatmate that would agree to accommodating my sensory difficulties), don't interact with my neighbours and it takes a toll on my mental health. I've been told to leave places because I make people uncomfortable (my favourite is being banned by a church because my suicidal feelings 'gave the priest anxiety').

I think autism and mental illness often go together and are therefore often excluded together, especially if one is a woman because NTs hold on to the stereotype that only males can be autistic so if you're a grown woman then they feel you're using autism as an excuse for being 'annoying', 'childish' and 'needy'. I feel that autistic men, especially boys, tend to be more believed and accommodated when they say their behaviour results from autism (or ADHD etc).

• I am the same minus the parenting - I'm a student at uni. I live alone (couldn't find a flatmate that would agree to accommodating my sensory difficulties), don't interact with my neighbours and it takes a toll on my mental health. I've been told to leave places because I make people uncomfortable (my favourite is being banned by a church because my suicidal feelings 'gave the priest anxiety').

I think autism and mental illness often go together and are therefore often excluded together, especially if one is a woman because NTs hold on to the stereotype that only males can be autistic so if you're a grown woman then they feel you're using autism as an excuse for being 'annoying', 'childish' and 'needy'. I feel that autistic men, especially boys, tend to be more believed and accommodated when they say their behaviour results from autism (or ADHD etc).

Children
No Data