Hello!

Hi, 

I was diagnosed in December at the age of 41 and fluctuate between feeling "really autistic" and feeling like I'm faking it. I don't know any other autistic people (as far as I know). I told one friend who doesn't believe my diagnosis and whose lack of support has been a bit of a blow and my partner and family. Her brother made jokes at the weekend about looking at a holiday cottage which had a play room for me. He hadn't been looking at cottages at all and I have been left feeling a bit foolish for not realising the extent of his banter until the next day and for allowing him to kind of bully me. My fault as I do make 'jokes' as a bit of a foil and have now blurred the lines over what is appropriate and what is hurtful. 

How have you dealt with telling people? How do you manage with the feelings of faking it? I think some of these forum posts have been really helpful. I'm conscious that I have mainly posted asking for advice/moaning about stuff and will try to be more cheerful in my next post! 

Have a good day! 

Parents
  • Hi

I was diagnosed at 42 - welcome to the late-comer's club  Smiley

Her brother made jokes at the weekend about looking at a holiday cottage which had a play room for me.

Why do they joke about a play room?      Are they calling you immature or do you have lots of hobbies?

• They're suggesting I have learning disabilities, and that makes me a bit "special" (his words)...

Thank you for the welcome. Better late than never, eh? 

• They're suggesting I have learning disabilities,

Just the sort of family you need.  Disappointed

One good phrase to remember - "You laugh at me because I'm different - I laugh at you because you're *all* the same.".

I've always found the limits difficult to judge - I see so many terrible things just accepted as normal that I doubt my own judgement in stress situations.

• They're suggesting I have learning disabilities,

Just the sort of family you need.  Disappointed

One good phrase to remember - "You laugh at me because I'm different - I laugh at you because you're *all* the same.".

I've always found the limits difficult to judge - I see so many terrible things just accepted as normal that I doubt my own judgement in stress situations.

Children
No Data