Hello!

Hi, 

I was diagnosed in December at the age of 41 and fluctuate between feeling "really autistic" and feeling like I'm faking it. I don't know any other autistic people (as far as I know). I told one friend who doesn't believe my diagnosis and whose lack of support has been a bit of a blow and my partner and family. Her brother made jokes at the weekend about looking at a holiday cottage which had a play room for me. He hadn't been looking at cottages at all and I have been left feeling a bit foolish for not realising the extent of his banter until the next day and for allowing him to kind of bully me. My fault as I do make 'jokes' as a bit of a foil and have now blurred the lines over what is appropriate and what is hurtful. 

How have you dealt with telling people? How do you manage with the feelings of faking it? I think some of these forum posts have been really helpful. I'm conscious that I have mainly posted asking for advice/moaning about stuff and will try to be more cheerful in my next post! 

Have a good day! 

Parents Reply
  • A good approach. I think my experiences show that people's perceptions of you can change. My friend doesn't even acknowledge it. 

My partner keeps trying to get me to tell people but I am not sure what it'll achieve. 

Children
No Data