Hello!

Hi, 

I was diagnosed in December at the age of 41 and fluctuate between feeling "really autistic" and feeling like I'm faking it. I don't know any other autistic people (as far as I know). I told one friend who doesn't believe my diagnosis and whose lack of support has been a bit of a blow and my partner and family. Her brother made jokes at the weekend about looking at a holiday cottage which had a play room for me. He hadn't been looking at cottages at all and I have been left feeling a bit foolish for not realising the extent of his banter until the next day and for allowing him to kind of bully me. My fault as I do make 'jokes' as a bit of a foil and have now blurred the lines over what is appropriate and what is hurtful. 

How have you dealt with telling people? How do you manage with the feelings of faking it? I think some of these forum posts have been really helpful. I'm conscious that I have mainly posted asking for advice/moaning about stuff and will try to be more cheerful in my next post! 

Have a good day! 

Parents
  • How do you manage with the feelings of faking it?

Jarvis, when you say faking it, do you mean pretending to be as others in order to fit in and be accepted?  If so, as I understand it, this is called 'masking'.  Maybe others would describe it differently. 

Ben

• How do you manage with the feelings of faking it?

Jarvis, when you say faking it, do you mean pretending to be as others in order to fit in and be accepted?  If so, as I understand it, this is called 'masking'.  Maybe others would describe it differently. 

Ben

Children