Too old to be diagnosed?

Hi, I'm 62 and it's taken me until now to realise that my life has been shaped by the fact that I'm on the spectrum. Dyslexic and dyspraxic, an early lifetime of major social and personal traumas, difficulties and so much more. But I have reached a stage in my life when I am able to cope much better. I have learned, copied, practiced and rehearsed my way through life. I'm so much more aware of my difficulties, my thought processes and my limitations. The problems are still there and still rear up unexpectedly (or expectedly depending on how you view it!), but I can manage them. 

Is there any point in perusing a diagnosis? When I was a child none of my difficulties were ever formally recognised, such things didn't happen in the 60s and 70s. Now I just feel happy to have come to understand who I am. Would a formal diagnosis actually make any difference?

Parents
  • Hi

Welcome aboard - I'm an oldie too - mid 50s Aspie.

A diagnosis is useful if you're looking to claim any extra benefits or check out what other entitlements you might have.     If you know yourself, understand yourself and can live a good life, it won't really add much to you - except a great feeling of "Told you so!"  Smiley

I can't say I've ever had any specific individual traumas in my life - it's just been a lifetime of overwhelming stress.   

• Thanks for replying. I do think for me it might just be a case of 'I told you so'. An issue I have always had is needing validation from others, perhaps getting a diagnosis would also just be another example of that.

I know what you mean by a lifetime of overwhelming stress, but I have found I am better able to cope now. Probably being retired makes a difference as I no longer have to put myself in positions I find very difficult to cope with.

• Thanks for replying. I do think for me it might just be a case of 'I told you so'. An issue I have always had is needing validation from others, perhaps getting a diagnosis would also just be another example of that.

I know what you mean by a lifetime of overwhelming stress, but I have found I am better able to cope now. Probably being retired makes a difference as I no longer have to put myself in positions I find very difficult to cope with.

Children