Too old to be diagnosed?

Hi, I'm 62 and it's taken me until now to realise that my life has been shaped by the fact that I'm on the spectrum. Dyslexic and dyspraxic, an early lifetime of major social and personal traumas, difficulties and so much more. But I have reached a stage in my life when I am able to cope much better. I have learned, copied, practiced and rehearsed my way through life. I'm so much more aware of my difficulties, my thought processes and my limitations. The problems are still there and still rear up unexpectedly (or expectedly depending on how you view it!), but I can manage them. 

Is there any point in perusing a diagnosis? When I was a child none of my difficulties were ever formally recognised, such things didn't happen in the 60s and 70s. Now I just feel happy to have come to understand who I am. Would a formal diagnosis actually make any difference?

• i just got fed up ---- and decided to get a diagnosis so the search and not knowing was over. Also ( secondary reason )  it helps put a mark in my family who have several  suspects but no solid flags. I am putting down a marker for anyone in my family can point to.

I suspect my mum is autistic  but was never diagnosed . She is still a star. Best mum ever.   

BTW i am dyslexic as well :)  I also have a nephew with really bad dyslexia, cant read nor write a single letter  but a great guy.

• Yeah - I retired at 49 - got a good payout to go away.  Smiley

• Thanks for getting back to me. I'm starting to think that just me finally accepting who I am is possibly enough. It's also wonderful to read about the experiences of other people and the ways in which they have coped.

• Many thanks for getting back to me. It's great to finally realise that I am not on my own.

• Hi, and thanks for replying.

What you have said makes a lot of sense. I would like to know but I also feel it would cause great concerns/issues within my family. I've got to the stage where possibly me knowing is enough and as you say it's just wonderful to finally know that other people have experienced similar things to me and that I'm not alone or completely weird.

• Thanks for replying. I do think for me it might just be a case of 'I told you so'. An issue I have always had is needing validation from others, perhaps getting a diagnosis would also just be another example of that.

I know what you mean by a lifetime of overwhelming stress, but I have found I am better able to cope now. Probably being retired makes a difference as I no longer have to put myself in positions I find very difficult to cope with.

• Hi, and welcome! If you are happy, not in need of outside support, then the choice is really up to you. I'm the type of person who HAS to know, but if you're not then accept who you are. You can always explore yourself further using the forum, ask questions, and I find reading others posts very enlightening, making me feel I'm not alone in my experiences. Take your time to think k about what is right for you.

• Welcome. Take your time and explore the many threads on the subject. You are not alone.

• maybe it's not worth it for you. for me, i was unaware i had IT, until they told me. then it was a pandora's box........ and not a good one. three years later, and finally with a therapist who goes to bat for me every time, i'm slowly making progress, basically the titanic before it tilted upa nd slid down under the waves. i am 65.

altho, if the cost is not too much to you, testing might reveal strengths and weaknesses that you weren't aware of.  

• Hi

Welcome aboard - I'm an oldie too - mid 50s Aspie.

A diagnosis is useful if you're looking to claim any extra benefits or check out what other entitlements you might have.     If you know yourself, understand yourself and can live a good life, it won't really add much to you - except a great feeling of "Told you so!"  Smiley

I can't say I've ever had any specific individual traumas in my life - it's just been a lifetime of overwhelming stress.