Personal hygiene

Hi I’ve only just joined. We don’t have a diagnosis yet for our 11 year old daughter (assessment due to take place on 2 February) but it is suspected that she will be diagnosed with Aspergers and possible ADHD.

A current issue we are struggling to manage is the fact that she doesn’t want to wash. When we tell her she needs to shower there’s always a reason why she can’t or won’t. She really smells. She knows she smells but still won’t get in the shower. She says if we keep telling her to do it she won’t.

Had anyone else experienced this behaviour?

Parents
  • As others have said, it is probably a sensory issue. Personally, I find the shower very comforting (I even sit down) and can easily spend over an hour in there. Showering is also part of my routine so I HAVE to shower every day before I do anything else. However, I struggle with light, especially the harsh lighting in the bathroom so I shower with the light off or cover the window with a towel if it is a bright day. I can do this because light from the landing bleeds into the bathroom and provides just enough light. My point is, until your daughter can articulate what it is about the shower she dislikes (the feel of the water, the bright light, the smell of the products, taking her clothes off etc.) it may be a case of trial and error. 

Reply Children
No Data