Personal hygiene

Hi I’ve only just joined. We don’t have a diagnosis yet for our 11 year old daughter (assessment due to take place on 2 February) but it is suspected that she will be diagnosed with Aspergers and possible ADHD.

A current issue we are struggling to manage is the fact that she doesn’t want to wash. When we tell her she needs to shower there’s always a reason why she can’t or won’t. She really smells. She knows she smells but still won’t get in the shower. She says if we keep telling her to do it she won’t.

Had anyone else experienced this behaviour?

Parents
  • With questions about personal hygiene, you really have opened a can of worms.

My experience is that personal hygiene and what is considered normal, is relative.  It depends on the family situation and the world outside the family.

As a child, I was shunned by neighbours and at school for many reasons, some behavioural others because of my poor hygiene. Such as torn, dirty clothes and smelling because of infrequent bathing.  But this bad hygiene was considered normal inside the family home.

As I grew older and started mixing with others my hygiene improved, but this created problems at home.  My mother started to shout at me for having baths too often, ' you only had a bath last week!',  in some families having a bath once a week is considered poor hygiene, In my house I was made to feel an outcast who abused the facilities.

Another ridiculous example is hand washing.  By the time I was in my twenties I was washing my hands before and after meals and after visiting toilets.  Anything wrong with that?   I thought not.

Then, we had a relative as a house guest for several weeks and all the complaints about me came out.  Before I started to eat a plate of sandwiches with my hands, I went off to the bathroom to wash my hands. My mother started complaining to this lady that I was a weirdo who always washes his hands before meals,  the young lady went off into hysterical laughter, agreeing that I really was a weirdo. I'm 99% certain that was sarcasm.

The moral is that with personal hygiene you can never satisfy everyone all the time.

• With questions about personal hygiene, you really have opened a can of worms.

My experience is that personal hygiene and what is considered normal, is relative.  It depends on the family situation and the world outside the family.

As a child, I was shunned by neighbours and at school for many reasons, some behavioural others because of my poor hygiene. Such as torn, dirty clothes and smelling because of infrequent bathing.  But this bad hygiene was considered normal inside the family home.

As I grew older and started mixing with others my hygiene improved, but this created problems at home.  My mother started to shout at me for having baths too often, ' you only had a bath last week!',  in some families having a bath once a week is considered poor hygiene, In my house I was made to feel an outcast who abused the facilities.

Another ridiculous example is hand washing.  By the time I was in my twenties I was washing my hands before and after meals and after visiting toilets.  Anything wrong with that?   I thought not.

Then, we had a relative as a house guest for several weeks and all the complaints about me came out.  Before I started to eat a plate of sandwiches with my hands, I went off to the bathroom to wash my hands. My mother started complaining to this lady that I was a weirdo who always washes his hands before meals,  the young lady went off into hysterical laughter, agreeing that I really was a weirdo. I'm 99% certain that was sarcasm.

The moral is that with personal hygiene you can never satisfy everyone all the time.

Children