Hello from a newbie

HI All,

Short message as I am not really sure what to say here as I have not actually done this kind of chat before!

The reason why I am here is I am in my 50's but only have been diagnosed with being on the spectrum this year, which was somewhat of a surprise! So now I am processing the many issues and problems I have in my life without knowing why and with their knock on effects. And having to do this this year with all the extra pressures on us! Although I feel that having my diagnosis 'should' be liberating, I am not actually sure. Sometimes I do think this, other times not so much? I would welcome talking to other folks who have had a diagnosis as an adult and their experiences?

All the Best

PMc

Parents
  • yep i was wobbly for at least 6 months after my diagnosis --- then gradually I settled down  more and started to feel better about myself.

I hope this happens for you as well. 

Your age means you have lived a considerable portion of your life, especially working live, un-diagnosed. I have this in common with you, so as i said the other day, I had thoughts of " how did i get this far without knowing ?".  My excuse is my mum was autistic and didnt know so she didnt know i was so I was raised as "normal" and I didnt think any different ! 

• thanks for the reply, what helped you "settling down"? I find lots of help for parents but not much for late diagnosed adults and how to cope with depression and isolation for those with ASD?

• i settled down because i had the explanation for my anti social behaviour and other traits like my regular shutdowns, and anxiety and a little depression that was growing.

It is natural to be unstable for a bit because it is a deep shock to find out you are autistic. I already knew it was quite a serious developmental issue ( from  my nephew  who is autistic) and when I was told I couldn't speak for a week. My mind went into overdrive, I had no idea how to handle this discovery.

The anxiety and depression i had decided to tackle using mindfulness living and meditation. There is scientific evidence that these would work ( 60% sucess rate ) so i thought i would give it a go.

2 years later my regular mediation and reading about meditation stuff/Buddhist thinking has help reduce my anxiety greatly and stop my depression ( which I was really scared off ). I also now have more control over my shutdowns.

also i was an alcoholic. i drank to be more social.  I stopped 2 years before my diagnosis because i was completely losing control, and when my head cleared,  up popped the real issue Autism.

this week i am reviewing my mindfulness practice / meditation because I have gained some skills so I want to get even better at this stuff.

• That is interesting and thank you for sharing, I did try both mindfulness and meditation but did not work for me (I will say at that time). My diagnosis came about as a result of trying to investigate the cause of the persistent deep depression and inability to form any "support network" and obtain other help.

In the past I have tried both the practices you suggest, both solo and in groups. I now realise that the group sessions would not know allow me to relax and so not really work. I will need some guidance from something on-line and so can be distanced and allow pausing and replaying etc. Any recommendations here would be most welcome?

One thing I have found in both and does make me somewhat reluctant to try again is being overwhelmed by anxiety which has been a problem trying them in the past. But is is great to hear that you were able to manage it. And again all advice here would be very welcome?

• That is interesting and thank you for sharing, I did try both mindfulness and meditation but did not work for me (I will say at that time). My diagnosis came about as a result of trying to investigate the cause of the persistent deep depression and inability to form any "support network" and obtain other help.

In the past I have tried both the practices you suggest, both solo and in groups. I now realise that the group sessions would not know allow me to relax and so not really work. I will need some guidance from something on-line and so can be distanced and allow pausing and replaying etc. Any recommendations here would be most welcome?

One thing I have found in both and does make me somewhat reluctant to try again is being overwhelmed by anxiety which has been a problem trying them in the past. But is is great to hear that you were able to manage it. And again all advice here would be very welcome?

Children
No Data