Hello from a newbie

HI All,

Short message as I am not really sure what to say here as I have not actually done this kind of chat before!

The reason why I am here is I am in my 50's but only have been diagnosed with being on the spectrum this year, which was somewhat of a surprise! So now I am processing the many issues and problems I have in my life without knowing why and with their knock on effects. And having to do this this year with all the extra pressures on us! Although I feel that having my diagnosis 'should' be liberating, I am not actually sure. Sometimes I do think this, other times not so much? I would welcome talking to other folks who have had a diagnosis as an adult and their experiences?

All the Best

PMc

Parents
  • yep i was wobbly for at least 6 months after my diagnosis --- then gradually I settled down  more and started to feel better about myself.

I hope this happens for you as well. 

Your age means you have lived a considerable portion of your life, especially working live, un-diagnosed. I have this in common with you, so as i said the other day, I had thoughts of " how did i get this far without knowing ?".  My excuse is my mum was autistic and didnt know so she didnt know i was so I was raised as "normal" and I didnt think any different ! 

• thanks for the reply, what helped you "settling down"? I find lots of help for parents but not much for late diagnosed adults and how to cope with depression and isolation for those with ASD?

Reply Children
  • That is interesting and thank you for sharing, I did try both mindfulness and meditation but did not work for me (I will say at that time). My diagnosis came about as a result of trying to investigate the cause of the persistent deep depression and inability to form any "support network" and obtain other help.

In the past I have tried both the practices you suggest, both solo and in groups. I now realise that the group sessions would not know allow me to relax and so not really work. I will need some guidance from something on-line and so can be distanced and allow pausing and replaying etc. Any recommendations here would be most welcome?

One thing I have found in both and does make me somewhat reluctant to try again is being overwhelmed by anxiety which has been a problem trying them in the past. But is is great to hear that you were able to manage it. And again all advice here would be very welcome?

• i settled down because i had the explanation for my anti social behaviour and other traits like my regular shutdowns, and anxiety and a little depression that was growing.

It is natural to be unstable for a bit because it is a deep shock to find out you are autistic. I already knew it was quite a serious developmental issue ( from  my nephew  who is autistic) and when I was told I couldn't speak for a week. My mind went into overdrive, I had no idea how to handle this discovery.

The anxiety and depression i had decided to tackle using mindfulness living and meditation. There is scientific evidence that these would work ( 60% sucess rate ) so i thought i would give it a go.

2 years later my regular mediation and reading about meditation stuff/Buddhist thinking has help reduce my anxiety greatly and stop my depression ( which I was really scared off ). I also now have more control over my shutdowns.

also i was an alcoholic. i drank to be more social.  I stopped 2 years before my diagnosis because i was completely losing control, and when my head cleared,  up popped the real issue Autism.

this week i am reviewing my mindfulness practice / meditation because I have gained some skills so I want to get even better at this stuff.