University during the Pandemic

Hi everyone!

I am new to the website and I'm looking for some advice or even anyone who just understands and is struggling through the same thing.

I have just started a masters degree at university, moved away from home into a studio apartment in my universities student accommodation and have been trying to adapt on my own. 

The university hasn't given us a timetable yet and everything starts in less than a week! I am really struggling with the lack of structure and not knowing what is happening around me. I can't plan for anything and set out my assignment schedule or lecture schedule or anything as I haven't had anything yet. Normally I would sort all of this out straight away so that I can ease myself into a new schedule and plan before having to find a new job and make new friends. I can't do that this time.

I need to get a job desperately, but I feel so anxious going to ask for hours of work when I don't even know when I can work yet! It seems absurd to me and I just think I'll be laughed at. It's hard enough to start a new job, meet new people and navigate a new city without having to worry about anything else.

I also don't know how I'm going to keep up with lectures and assignments this year. Normally what motivates me is being out of the comfort of my home/ room and working in a "working" environment, such as a library or classroom. I can't do that this year. I have to do it all from my studio apartment and I'm already struggling to separate my time from work and pleasure, so to speak. I find myself watching more tv episodes and reading than I do the work I'm actually meant to be doing. My room and my home are for chilling and relaxing and I just can't find a way to separate them during this time and actually motivate myself to work.

Does anyone have any advice or tips on how to be less anxious without a schedule and how to motivate yourself to work at home without getting distracted? Or how to go about finding a new job without knowing your timetable? I would really appreciate any kind of advice as I'm really struggling at the moment!

Thank you!!!

Parents
  • Hi Charlotte, 

I feel exactly the same! I started university last week and have been thrown head long into my first group assignment with no timetable. I am not being provided lecture notes or reading ahead of classes. I have tutor lead days 3x per week and have missed one day a week due to getting upset and overwhelmed. This has been a direct result of not getting the support I needed despite asking for a number of reasonable allowances to be made ahead of time. In addition to all this I am also extremely new to considering myself a person with Autism as I only received my ASD diagnosis 15 days ago when I also was diagnosed with Dyslexia and Dyscalculia. As a mature student I have been in work for a number of years which only adds to my anxiety as I know many of my peers have continued on from previous courses so are already in the correct mindset for Uni life. 

Can I ask whether you are receiving any learning support? Has anyone been in touch to offer in class assistance etc? 

:) 

• Hi Charlotte, 

I feel exactly the same! I started university last week and have been thrown head long into my first group assignment with no timetable. I am not being provided lecture notes or reading ahead of classes. I have tutor lead days 3x per week and have missed one day a week due to getting upset and overwhelmed. This has been a direct result of not getting the support I needed despite asking for a number of reasonable allowances to be made ahead of time. In addition to all this I am also extremely new to considering myself a person with Autism as I only received my ASD diagnosis 15 days ago when I also was diagnosed with Dyslexia and Dyscalculia. As a mature student I have been in work for a number of years which only adds to my anxiety as I know many of my peers have continued on from previous courses so are already in the correct mindset for Uni life. 

Can I ask whether you are receiving any learning support? Has anyone been in touch to offer in class assistance etc? 

:) 

Children
  • It's so frustrating, isn't it?!!!! I have been offered assistance but they have to wait for my timetable so they can also plan around it, as they will be setting up weekly/ fortnightly meetings to check-in at the same time every week. So annoying.

If it goes on much longer I'm going to see if I can find a lecturers email or something, which is anxiety-inducing on its own as I've never met any of them.

It is comforting to know I'm not alone experiencing this though