New here

Hi, I've just joined. I'm 21 and believe I may be autistic. I would ideally like to seek a diagnosis. Anyone have any advice on how to bring up the subject with family and friends as I've never spoken about it to anyone before.

Parents
  • I read loads and loads of books and this helped me understand the common traits and see some of them in myself. The kids books All Cats Have Aspergers and Inside Asperger Looking Out really really helped as I really identified my childhood self in them. It gave the basis to talk to my sister on her memory of me as a child. The adult stuff was harder cos I've found really good coping strategies so was confused if I suffered from traits or not, but in time I've come to see them better. Aspergirls is the most helpful book I've found so far, but I hope to read better ones too.

Doing the online Asperger Quotient Test was an important milestone for me as my score validated that it was worth me continuing to investigate and helped me start to talk to people. It then all kinda came tumbling out and people pointed out quirks and thinking patterns I didn't even know I had! I'm slowly coming to terms with it.

• I read loads and loads of books and this helped me understand the common traits and see some of them in myself. The kids books All Cats Have Aspergers and Inside Asperger Looking Out really really helped as I really identified my childhood self in them. It gave the basis to talk to my sister on her memory of me as a child. The adult stuff was harder cos I've found really good coping strategies so was confused if I suffered from traits or not, but in time I've come to see them better. Aspergirls is the most helpful book I've found so far, but I hope to read better ones too.

Doing the online Asperger Quotient Test was an important milestone for me as my score validated that it was worth me continuing to investigate and helped me start to talk to people. It then all kinda came tumbling out and people pointed out quirks and thinking patterns I didn't even know I had! I'm slowly coming to terms with it.

Children
No Data