Why is this so hard?

Hi everyone.  

I'm almost 27 and I have had the first part of my assessment for a diagnosis, just waiting on the second part.   

I don't really know if I do have autism.  I think I do and so do my family but its something we have only started recognising over the past few years.   I'm really struggling to cope with a lot of things, especially as things are at the moment.   I'm particularly struggling with work because I don't know if I can or should talk to them about how I am.  I feel silly doing it when I don't have a diagnosis.  It's just really hard being me at the moment I guess.  

I had my first assessment at the start of July.  I was told I should get a diagnosis within 3 months but I haven't heard anything from them since.   Does anyone know anything I can do or anywhere I can turn?   I don't have any autistic friends to help me or guide me either.  

Thanks everyone.  Take care 

Slight smile

Parents
  • It took six years from the initial referral from the general practitioner to both Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services and my local adult autism services to have an initial assessment it took over year later for the second assessment after months of contacting them. I Also Have to wait another six years because it was discussed in my autism assessment that i have Attention deficit disorder before i get a diagnosis for that too. It helps if you general practitioners contacts them regularly to ensure you haven't been lost in the system. 

• It took six years from the initial referral from the general practitioner to both Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services and my local adult autism services to have an initial assessment it took over year later for the second assessment after months of contacting them. I Also Have to wait another six years because it was discussed in my autism assessment that i have Attention deficit disorder before i get a diagnosis for that too. It helps if you general practitioners contacts them regularly to ensure you haven't been lost in the system. 

Children
No Data