Why is this so hard?

Hi everyone.  

I'm almost 27 and I have had the first part of my assessment for a diagnosis, just waiting on the second part.   

I don't really know if I do have autism.  I think I do and so do my family but its something we have only started recognising over the past few years.   I'm really struggling to cope with a lot of things, especially as things are at the moment.   I'm particularly struggling with work because I don't know if I can or should talk to them about how I am.  I feel silly doing it when I don't have a diagnosis.  It's just really hard being me at the moment I guess.  

I had my first assessment at the start of July.  I was told I should get a diagnosis within 3 months but I haven't heard anything from them since.   Does anyone know anything I can do or anywhere I can turn?   I don't have any autistic friends to help me or guide me either.  

Thanks everyone.  Take care 

Slight smile

Parents
  • Hi there! I hear your pain, I really do.

I had my diagnosis in June but I actually started the process in January 2019.

When I had my ASD diagnosis I was also told I most likely had ADHD and was referred for an assessment. I know I'm going to have to wait a long time for that, too.

With regards to your job. I told my manager when I had my referral. Told them I was going to be getting the diagnosis and asked them to help work with me to see what changes they could make to make life a bit easier for me. Is that something you would feel comfortable doing?

• Hi there! I hear your pain, I really do.

I had my diagnosis in June but I actually started the process in January 2019.

When I had my ASD diagnosis I was also told I most likely had ADHD and was referred for an assessment. I know I'm going to have to wait a long time for that, too.

With regards to your job. I told my manager when I had my referral. Told them I was going to be getting the diagnosis and asked them to help work with me to see what changes they could make to make life a bit easier for me. Is that something you would feel comfortable doing?

Children
  • Thanks for replying!   My employers are very... odd. It was a small business which has grown a lot in the last year so they only care about their employees who do more work than anyone else and that sort of thing so the idea of speaking with them about it is so scary :(    I did try and speak to them about my general anxiety and how much change knocks me and they quite literally ignored me.   It's just so hard!   I do feel better knowing other people have spoken to their employers before a diagnosis. I'm also scared I will tell them about it and then I won't get a diagnosis and that would be so awkward and embarrassing.  

It's really hard when they dont want to hear it Disappointed