Waiting for assessment stuck in a nightmare

Hello.. I'm new to the group and have suspected for a while that I am on the spectrum after working as an Autism Support Worker. I also have mental health problems and trying to get my voice heard is a challenge. Some of you have mentioned being passed pillar to post. My GP surgery doesn't seem to know who deals with Autism! But i finally (I think) have a referral.

I have lost jobs very quickly due to overwhelm and emotional breakdowns. I cry a lot. I struggle to cope with day to day life. Noise, bustle, people's tone of voice, thinking people are angry when they aren't, my mind going blank, not being able to multitask. I avoid people even at home with my parents. Yet I can come across as cheerful and articulate a lot of the time. 

I  feel my future is bleak and I will not be able to hold down a job. I am capable of much more but this thing is getting in the way.

I'm so worried i will lose my current job as a Health Care Assistant. My manager thinks because i am often upset i am not coping. She doesn't understand. The in-house trainer politely asked me if i had considered if i was autistic. I said yes and thought it was highly likely. So I put the wheels in motion.

I feel so broken and weird and frightened and confused and misunderstood. So I came here!

Parents
  • Hi Adria, I’m also waiting for a diagnosis. I’m currently 45 years old, so it’s a bit weird. As you say I have previously been told it was depression, anxiety and had every therapy known to man. While the depression and anxiety are real, I am beginning to understand that they are Co-morbid not the cause. I have had many jobs, pretty much left them all before I was pushed, or at least convinced myself I was going to be. I’m now self employed, which is easier.

I would think in Health Care you would be pretty safe. There is a huge duty of care bit, and for Health Care organisation to fail someone’s health would be pretty damaging to them I imagine.

Keep engaging with folk on here, the more you learn about others helps teach you about yourself so you feel less weird if not normal.

Good luck.

• That was my plan starting in health care. Hope fully they will be more understanding and supportive. Thanks for your reply. I'm starting to feel less alone!

Reply Children
No Data