Finding out about Aspergers Syndrome in later life

I'm a 63 year old female and live in North Yorkshire.  I worked as a nurse but am now retired. Never married and don't have any children. Realised about 10 years ago that I had A.S. but felt it wasn't really appropriate to be professionally diagnosed.  Some other family members are also affected but, like me, are high-functioning, except for one cousin who is profoundly autistic. It was a relief in many ways to realise that I was on the autistic spectrum as explained lots of things about myself that I had found puzzling such as hypersensitivity to noise, hating going to parties etc. When I was younger nothing seemed to be known about Aspergers and I wonder how different my life would have been if I knew then what I know now. Are there other people in the same situation?

Parents
  • hey daisy, my partner found out only a few years ago , hes in his late 20s. we both think his life would have been very different if hed have been properly diagnosed IF he also had the right care and help avaliable.

its great you know after all that time you can now move forward with that info and accept who you are, your a bit 'different' and thats fine Laughing

theres obviously gonna be a lot of 'what ifs' but its not worth going over it, its done and you know now, thats what matters.

i totally agree, there is NO 'normal' and us nts have our own oddities as well, i knwo my partner doesnt understand a lot of our nt life. stuff anyone who 'cant accept' you for who you are, autistics have a lot to offer our soceity whether they are 'odd' or not

Wink

• hey daisy, my partner found out only a few years ago , hes in his late 20s. we both think his life would have been very different if hed have been properly diagnosed IF he also had the right care and help avaliable.

its great you know after all that time you can now move forward with that info and accept who you are, your a bit 'different' and thats fine Laughing

theres obviously gonna be a lot of 'what ifs' but its not worth going over it, its done and you know now, thats what matters.

i totally agree, there is NO 'normal' and us nts have our own oddities as well, i knwo my partner doesnt understand a lot of our nt life. stuff anyone who 'cant accept' you for who you are, autistics have a lot to offer our soceity whether they are 'odd' or not

Wink

Children
No Data