Finding out about Aspergers Syndrome in later life

I'm a 63 year old female and live in North Yorkshire.  I worked as a nurse but am now retired. Never married and don't have any children. Realised about 10 years ago that I had A.S. but felt it wasn't really appropriate to be professionally diagnosed.  Some other family members are also affected but, like me, are high-functioning, except for one cousin who is profoundly autistic. It was a relief in many ways to realise that I was on the autistic spectrum as explained lots of things about myself that I had found puzzling such as hypersensitivity to noise, hating going to parties etc. When I was younger nothing seemed to be known about Aspergers and I wonder how different my life would have been if I knew then what I know now. Are there other people in the same situation?

Parents
  • Hi Daisy,

I think there are quite a few of us out here, trying to come to terms with the sudden realisation that it might all have been so different. I'm into my 50s and I know my life could have been so much easier had I known then what I know now. But would it have been better? I don't know - I may not have pushed myself so hard, but I might have missed out because of that. And I don't think a single one of my many employers would have even considered me for the jobs that have contributed to a full and varied life.

Knowing more about how AS has affected my relationships is sad as it's too late to go back and explain, or find out how I might have been able to chose better and maintain relationships. I don't have children either.

After 3 years post diagnosis, I have reached a point where I accept what I cannot change, but I am working on changing what I can, and learning how to make my day to day life better. It would be godd to hear what other people think about this.

• Hi Daisy,

I think there are quite a few of us out here, trying to come to terms with the sudden realisation that it might all have been so different. I'm into my 50s and I know my life could have been so much easier had I known then what I know now. But would it have been better? I don't know - I may not have pushed myself so hard, but I might have missed out because of that. And I don't think a single one of my many employers would have even considered me for the jobs that have contributed to a full and varied life.

Knowing more about how AS has affected my relationships is sad as it's too late to go back and explain, or find out how I might have been able to chose better and maintain relationships. I don't have children either.

After 3 years post diagnosis, I have reached a point where I accept what I cannot change, but I am working on changing what I can, and learning how to make my day to day life better. It would be godd to hear what other people think about this.

Children
No Data