Hi There

Hi There All

I was diagnosed with ASD (Asperger's)  in March and it was no surprise to me as I've always felt and acted differently to everyone around me... Even tho it's taken until the age of 31 finally to get others to notice the problems that I have with social interaction and learning difficulties. I spend most of my time with my neurotypical daughter who is just to turn 4 and am finding it difficult to explain to her why mummy cant do the things like going to the park or take her anywhere on my own without my own mother having to be with us due to the fact I get so flustered and anxious when I'm out of my own home.

Has anyone got any advice or been in my place as to how I explain to her in terms in which she might possibly understand as I'm not very good with words? 

Thanks for reading my post and hope to hear from you soon 

Parents
  • she will understand. Dont think of being a negative "not so good" mum. More ur daughter is getting a uniques experience and will grow up knowing more about autiism than the average person. I was raised by an autistic mum she was the best ever, fearless, highly focused on getting me an education ( which worked BTW ).  Autustic mums are great. My mum would bring home a new pet for no reason at all. I loved the stream of animals  includng a wounded seagull who happily lived with a guinea pig for months before flying off one day . A day I will never forget.

• she will understand. Dont think of being a negative "not so good" mum. More ur daughter is getting a uniques experience and will grow up knowing more about autiism than the average person. I was raised by an autistic mum she was the best ever, fearless, highly focused on getting me an education ( which worked BTW ).  Autustic mums are great. My mum would bring home a new pet for no reason at all. I loved the stream of animals  includng a wounded seagull who happily lived with a guinea pig for months before flying off one day . A day I will never forget.

Children
  • Thank you for your reply Aidie. 

I'm already trying to get her focused on learn as it'll do more good for her in the long run. 

I just hope that when she's older she'll think as positively about me as you do about your mum.