Newly Diagnosed

Hi everyone!

My name is Graham and i was recently diagnosed with ADHD.

I avoided going onto places like this, as i thought i could manage myself...

I was wrong.

Can i ask if anyone has any useful tips on how to manage the chaos that i leave in my wake?

To give some context, my wife was diagnosed with ASD 2 years ago.

My eldest son was diagnosed ASD not long after that.

My middle child is in the process of being diagnosed.

And my youngest is under observation.

My inability to cope with stressful situations, inability to organise my self or the things around me, my battle with mental health (and the impact that has on my ability to function) and my anger/frustration at the world have always been a point of contention in my relationships.

Lately things have become much worse.

Although i try to integrate into the systems my wife has established for her and the kids, i only end up causing more harm than good.

Me and the wife are fighting a lot...

She feels that i do not take into consideration anyone other than myself.

I admit that i am unmanaged.

I do not know how to manage my traits or what i need to do in order to bring some order to the chaos i leave behind.

Thank you for reading this far Slight smile

Parents
  • Welcome to the forum, Graham.

I'm not a family man myself, so my ability to advise is rather limited; however, like many autistic people, I'm certainly familiar with the chaos that attentional deficits can cause, and the perception from other people that I'm too aloof or inconsiderate. In fact, it's quite likely that many of us here have unidentified ADHD, as for a long time, any attentional deficits were taken to be included in the autism diagnosis and you couldn't be diagnosed with both.

Firstly, I'd suggest tackling any mental health problems, preferably though counselling, though considering medication if necessary. Mental illness tends to exaggerate any attentional problems for most of us, especially rumination about past upsets or what we consider to be personality flaws but are, in fact, just consequences of our condition.

More practically, there a few of things which I find help (though, of course, your milage may vary)...

• One thing at a time! Lists, charts, and schedules rarely work well for people attentional deficits, it seems. The list just becomes a focus for rumination and anxiety ("OMG, look how many things are still left!"). So I use notifications from my computer's calendar etc. to feed me tasks strictly one item at a time so that I don't become overwhelmed.
    • Doing anything is better than doing nothing. I very easily get trapped in rumination about what I should do, when or how I should do it, etc. Planning, planning, planning, and not enough doing. So I take the decision out of my hands by choosing a task at random or asking someone else to choose for me. Once I've got started, my anxiety often abates, and I might suprise myself at how much I get done once I've built up a bit of momentum.
    • Visual cues. I find lists and written notes slip my mind really easily - words, whether written or spoken, tend to elude me, sometimes within seconds of seeing/hearing them. So I use visual aids such as photos as reminders rather than words - for example, I might make my PC's desktop image a photo of that pile of washing up that I need to do. This also allows me to make easy before/after comparisons, which makes the impact of any tasks that I've done seem much more "real" somehow.

Best wishes to you and your family.

• Welcome to the forum, Graham.

I'm not a family man myself, so my ability to advise is rather limited; however, like many autistic people, I'm certainly familiar with the chaos that attentional deficits can cause, and the perception from other people that I'm too aloof or inconsiderate. In fact, it's quite likely that many of us here have unidentified ADHD, as for a long time, any attentional deficits were taken to be included in the autism diagnosis and you couldn't be diagnosed with both.

Firstly, I'd suggest tackling any mental health problems, preferably though counselling, though considering medication if necessary. Mental illness tends to exaggerate any attentional problems for most of us, especially rumination about past upsets or what we consider to be personality flaws but are, in fact, just consequences of our condition.

More practically, there a few of things which I find help (though, of course, your milage may vary)...

• One thing at a time! Lists, charts, and schedules rarely work well for people attentional deficits, it seems. The list just becomes a focus for rumination and anxiety ("OMG, look how many things are still left!"). So I use notifications from my computer's calendar etc. to feed me tasks strictly one item at a time so that I don't become overwhelmed.
    • Doing anything is better than doing nothing. I very easily get trapped in rumination about what I should do, when or how I should do it, etc. Planning, planning, planning, and not enough doing. So I take the decision out of my hands by choosing a task at random or asking someone else to choose for me. Once I've got started, my anxiety often abates, and I might suprise myself at how much I get done once I've built up a bit of momentum.
    • Visual cues. I find lists and written notes slip my mind really easily - words, whether written or spoken, tend to elude me, sometimes within seconds of seeing/hearing them. So I use visual aids such as photos as reminders rather than words - for example, I might make my PC's desktop image a photo of that pile of washing up that I need to do. This also allows me to make easy before/after comparisons, which makes the impact of any tasks that I've done seem much more "real" somehow.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Children
No Data