21 Female, being pushed into joining by my pushy mother :)

Hi,

I'm getting nagged for spending too much time on You Tube and not enough time trying to make friends.

I enjoy music, going to the cinema and pop concerts and am now getting ready to enter the big wide world of work. Any advice/ social chat appreciated (will keep mum happy)

Parents
  • Hello and welcome to the forum! I’m a 39 year old woman with 3 daughters (22, 5 and 2). Are you on Facebook? There are a number of ‘closed’ or ‘private’ women only Facebook groups for women with autism/Aspergers. These might be a better way for you to make friends and also find other autistic women your own age that live near you. This is how I started my social group that I run locally for autistic women, probably about half of my members came from one such group.

• Hi, Thank you for this - please can you tell  me how I would go about finding groups on Facebook? Finding some friends locally would be good - though a bit scary to begin with x

Reply Children
  • Thank you I will for sure check this out Blush

• Hi, as well as the groups that  has helpfully listed, some others are:

-British Women and Non binary Autistics - ASD ASCs and Aspergers 

-Autistic Women in the UK

-Creative Aspie Women (I don’t think this is UK based but it is good if you make any craft and want to show it off to your fellow Aspies :-))

- Asperger Syndrome Awareness (not specific to the uk and open to all genders and parents as well as Aspies BUT it does have a very large following)

I think I belong to far too many Facebook groups Flushed

All these groups can be found using the search function at the top of your Facebook home page. 
    They frequently have posts asking where in the UK everyone is from and it is common to see meet ups arranged and details of ‘unofficial’ social groups such as my own group, shared. Good luck!

• Was just about to do a list. You beat me to it Slight smile

• I did a search for groups with aspergers/autism and then picked a few I thought sounded ok. Some I've styed a member of, some I haven't

Some common ones are:

aspie girl: a closed encounter

Women with Autism/Aspergers UK Support Group

British Female Aspergers/Autistic Support Circle - UK Original

Asperger's and Autism for adults UK

Aspergers UK