Benefits of diagnosis

Hi. I'm a 39 year old female, married with 3 children and a professional job. With the increased awareness generally of autism, a couple of people pointed out to me that I may be on the spectrum. When reading about it, everything made sense and I'm feeling pretty annoyed no one noticed it during my childhood as it was tough! 

I'm getting on OK now but have some mental health problems and obviously don't deal well with social situations.

I'm wondering if there's any point in going for a diagnosis now and if that would really make any difference to my life.

Parents
  • Hi. I'm 25 and currently on the waiting list for a diagnostic assessment. My family have always suspected that I was autistic, but I've made my own decision to pursue diagnosis in adulthood. 

I also struggle with my mental health, so I decided that a diagnosis would help me get to know myself better, which should allow me to make adaptations to my life to decrease my stress levels. It may also open doors to support if I need it in future.

I'm recently out of therapy for anxiety and OCD, and it's made a huge difference to me already. That said, I still feel the autism diagnosis will be beneficial, because I'm hoping I'll be able to take better care of myself once I know my specific needs. I'm not always very self-aware, so it's hard for me to know what my specific triggers are for things like meltdowns, and I don't always notice when I'm burning myself out.

You might find Laura James' 'Odd Girl Out' an interesting read - it's autobiographical and explores her experience of adult diagnosis. I also found Purple Ella's YouTube videos helpful when deciding whether to pursue a diagnosis.

Even if you get a diagnosis, it's your choice whether you disclose it to others or not - so even if you just want to know for yourself, that's an option too.

I hope you get the answers you're looking for :)

• Thanks so much for the reply. I've ordered the book and will look up the YouTube channel. I'm finding that just realising myself that I have autism is making a difference already to how I manage things, but it would be great to get some therapy focused on autism. I've never had any therapy - just anti depressants. GP said I'd have to self fund. I hope you continue to see benefits.

• Thank you - I hope you enjoy the book. Did your GP say you'd need to self-fund for the autism diagnosis or for therapy? I've found that GPs aren't always knowledgeable about autism (mine said there were no diagnostic services in the area, when there's actually one 15 minutes away), so it might be worth some further research. 

• Hope you enjoy the book Slight smile Oh wow... that's so expensive. Most areas have an NHS mental health team - you can usually self-refer online. 

I hope you and your son are able to get the support you need.

• Got the book now and looking forward to reading it! It was therapy for depression and post traumatic stress after a series of bad events following pregnancies that didn't go well. The GP gave me a list of therapists but it was around £50 per hour so I just took the anti depressant instead! It is as time goes on I've realised I had underlying issues all along relating to autism which aren't going to go away. I am looking around for services - they seem geered to more severe autism, but I will keep looking. One of my children has cerebral palsy and he is now classed at the milder end of the spectrum and doesn't get all the support I think he needs. I guess they have to prioritise services.

• Got the book now and looking forward to reading it! It was therapy for depression and post traumatic stress after a series of bad events following pregnancies that didn't go well. The GP gave me a list of therapists but it was around £50 per hour so I just took the anti depressant instead! It is as time goes on I've realised I had underlying issues all along relating to autism which aren't going to go away. I am looking around for services - they seem geered to more severe autism, but I will keep looking. One of my children has cerebral palsy and he is now classed at the milder end of the spectrum and doesn't get all the support I think he needs. I guess they have to prioritise services.

Children