Daughter's boyfriend told me he was on the spectrum

Hello everyone!

I've joined today because I want to understand and support my daughter and her boyfriend. 

My daughter is training to be a doctor and works in a nightclub at weekends. She met a young man (22) and last month they got a flat together.

He is absolutely lovely. He is polite, kind, a good conversationalist, kind to animals. So I was shocked to learn yesterday that he is on the spectrum.He receives PIP to support his daily living. 

I wouldn't have thought it in a thousand years!

The only things that indicate any unusual behaviours (certainly not social or communication) are that he he dislikes most foods and is reluctant to try anything else - even pizza. He also seems to tolerate pain as he will not take any kind of medication including headache tablets. 'I've never taken drugs' he said to me. I thought he meant cocaine!

Surely if he is received benefits (and he does work full time) there are other issues? My daughter says she doesn't understand autism and I have done some 'training days' as I am a teacher - but I don't know how I can support them or what I should expect/do.

Feel completely lost and out of my depth here. Just looking for some advice or just to talk really.

Parents Reply Children