53 diagnosed aspergers a few years back

suffer from anxiety deptression ocd. in really bad place can't explain things easily, I feel that I don't exist when I go out in public, rarely go out now I have left work had enough of the world

Parents
  • Hi - Welcome to the forum.     I'm 53 - diagnosed about 10 years ago.   They keep telling me I'm chronically depressed too.

What sort of things do you enjoy doing?    I build big model boats and probably a thousand other hobbies.

• Things so dark, interests seem to fade away. I am interested in scale models, but can't seem to get starting building.Have bought loads and keep adding. I am wanting to move to radio control planes. The buying seems to overwhelm, mainly sorting out problems and return bad stuff that arrives. Taking a lot of my time just managing my collection, have been selling off to reduce things, but I just buy more. Get down with missing stuff I should have bought. I am also interested in old audio equipment and playing music.

• set a date. Then think about it, plan it. doodle about it and on the date just do it.  The building will help push away the depression.  You have a lot to deal with and you have my empathy. Try and get out and join a modelling club where you can share knowledge and skills. 

• I'll keep that in mind

• The foam board is only £20 for an 8'x4' sheet and glues with plumbers pvc glue - it's very cheap to play with to try building things.  

• I've built a 5' Titanic from pvc foam board.

• whats the worst that can happen ?  There is a course called StressControl ( no space between words ). Its a free 6 week course run intially in Glasgow but also other places. Search for it.  It is very good and they recommend to face your fears. I know it easy to say and hard to do.  

• how about the titanic ! 

• I do - I'm just about to put a couple of boats on ebay - total investment around £150 + my spare time.   Should sell them for around £1000.  Smiley

• you could have a wee business going :)

• Most clubs have competitions - it's all about seeing what is considered to be the state of the art and then seeing how to replicate it or improve upon it.    The whole point it to see the good stuff and then pick their brains about their techniques - and spot their mistakes.  Smiley

This is how I use my aspie super-powers to discover the tricks of the game.

The clubs I go to all seem to spend years and fortunes building their boats - I knock them out in three months for no money and win their prizes - I get my buzz from beating them at their own game.

I really recommend persevering with it - you don't have to enter the competitions until you're comfortable you're in with a chance - but the social interaction will get you out of the house.

• Theres a local plastic scale modelling club (well mainly plastic) and a locat radio control aircraft (mostly aircraft), I have only been to the scale club a few times. I am having problems sorting out painting, a bit of a barrier at the moment. Have bought all the equipment, and have the paint.I am known to the club, and they regularly ask me to come along. Finding going out so difficult now. I guess what puts me off, is it is competitive, with builds being judged each week

• Lots of people at model clubs are very aspie - and the conversation is easy because it's always directed at or about a 'thing' - they are easy to get on with.

Which type of modelling is your thing?   Which club are you talking to?

• Lots of people at model clubs are very aspie - and the conversation is easy because it's always directed at or about a 'thing' - they are easy to get on with.

Which type of modelling is your thing?   Which club are you talking to?

Children