Newly Diagnosed as an Adult

Hello everyone. I was diagnosed with ASD around a month ago, in my 20s. I'm feeling quite alone and at sea with the new diagnosis, especially since there seems to be no post-diagnostic support or local groups where I live, so thought I'd make an account and say hi. I hope you're all doing okay today.

Parents
  • So what was your first symptom for autism?

• Quite a lot of symptoms really. I'm still at the stage where I'm coming to realise that all sorts of things that I just thought were "normal" are actually autism-related eg. insanely good hearing, sense of touch, taste, smell etc. I hadn't realised that other people don't do the amount of thinking and analysing I do in social situations, it just comes intuitively to them, or that other people don't notice the amount of detail I notice in the world around me. The assessment really came up because I was a facing a massive change and I wasn't coping with it well at all, so that's when people started to suspect that maybe my extreme reaction could mean I was autistic and apparently they were right. Still very much trying to get my head around the idea though! 

• Hi Floss, I’m getting this too. Despite waiting 19 months to get diagnosed and really hoping for a positive diagnosis because it explains so much, I’m now finding that I’m more different than I thought I was. The way I process sound is captured really well in many sensory sensitivity videos that you can find on YouTube, and I’m becoming more aware of my rigid thinking though I can’t quite see this objectively because it’s just me (there are no videos for this that help provide that outside perspective). Also I’m coming to start to see that I fail to imagine other ways of thinking that others might have.

i have a strong drive to understand everything that I need to balance with just getting on and enjoying life I guess.

• Hi Floss, I’m getting this too. Despite waiting 19 months to get diagnosed and really hoping for a positive diagnosis because it explains so much, I’m now finding that I’m more different than I thought I was. The way I process sound is captured really well in many sensory sensitivity videos that you can find on YouTube, and I’m becoming more aware of my rigid thinking though I can’t quite see this objectively because it’s just me (there are no videos for this that help provide that outside perspective). Also I’m coming to start to see that I fail to imagine other ways of thinking that others might have.

i have a strong drive to understand everything that I need to balance with just getting on and enjoying life I guess.

Children
  • I really relate to this a lot. With so many things, I've just never even realised that other people don't experience them the way I do and knowing that they don't is almost making it harder to deal with in a way. So for example I discovered the other day that other people don't actually experience "pain" when they drink a fizzy drink or when they're cold and their hair stands on end. But for me both those experiences are genuinely painful and I never even knew that wasn't normal. Loud noises also feel painful, like I'm physically being bashed over the head, and make me feel sick if they don't stop too. Now I know that other people don't have these issues, I'm finding myself asking "Why me?" quite a lot. I guess it has its advantages too, but the sensory side is particularly hard I think and others aren't always very understanding of it and just think you're making a fuss.