Hello From Northern Ireland

Hi I am Mum to three adults on the autistic spectrum, all of whom are still living at home. Two have Asperger Syndrome and one has autism with learning difficulties. The three are very different from each other, but get on well together most of the time.

Looking forward to getting to know people in this community.

• Northern Ireland 'Culchie' here. (Ardboe, beside Lough Neagh)

• Hi, Dinah - welcome to the group.

I'm currently awaiting an autism assessment - I've been on the waiting list for quite some time now!

Hope you find the forum helpful :)

• yea we used to make our own paste and weant to get flour but there was none. I got pasta today so I am ok for a while :)

• same for Respire use a book or google, Self Raising might give an Irish Pasta.akin to boiled bread.

• IF No Warter just use Tap Water.

• Just Buy, or use some flour and warter maybe salt and oil according to a respire. Last time I did it years ago I think the grade of flour was OO but I think any flour will do, but dont' uses self raising.

No Roller, just cut into little bits, or long thin bits. You or your kids choose.

• ASDA in larne is being stripped (food) everyday at the moment--- i cant get pasta !

• i relax once i get on the new a8 to Larne.  

• Yes, it's a massive improvement.

• Sorry to take all this time to reply to your message. Did you ever sell your car and did further intervention happen for you? We now have two adult children living with us but the third is not far away so we still see a lot of him. Hubby and I are of an age that will be having to self-isolate so that should be fun.

• nice new A8 larne is just 20minutes from belfast now:)

• I don't think there's any specific problem with revealing your town on here, although the rules state to "not post personal or identifying details". Personally I think it's best to remain somewhat ambiguous on the internet, and in many cases life in general. Scammers and miscreants are watching.

Funny story, one night a few years ago now, this young lad turned up at my door out of the blue looking to buy my car. I hadn't advertised anywhere, but it seems at some point I had casually mentioned to some completely random person I'd bumped into that I was maybe thinking I might sell it, and the car being something of a classic is apparently rare enough that this young fellow from the far side of the country was able to track me down to my home simply by knowing what model it was. Quite shocking really!  I very nearly set the dogs on him at first lol.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read my profile. The fixing/breaking things dynamic is leaning more toward the latter lately, with two cars off the road and practically in bits, I've unfortunately lost interest for now. I'll get back to it when the weather warms up again, probably.  I've also had to turn my hand to plumbing due to problems with my shower and a leaking toilet cistern in recent months. It's both a blessing and a curse that I take these things on without the first clue what I'm doing or the proper tools for the task at hand, relying solely on logic and a measure of misplaced confidence that I will be able to figure it out. I got it done in the end, and it was fun to learn something new but I think next time I'll maybe just pick up the phone instead!

RE: diagnosis, a bit of both I suppose. I've been trying to figure this stuff out for years, and honestly I'm still none the wiser in terms of how to actually deal with my problems, but at least I have a name for it now. I'm now on a waiting list for 'further intervention' whatever that means, my suspicion is that this has probably come 30 years too late to be of any real benefit to me, but I'm willing to give it a go.

You must have your hands full with three grownup children living at home, your patience and fortitude is to be commended.

• Thank you Hollowman. There seem to be quite a few people from Norn Iron here. Are we allowed to say which town/city we're in? The Glens of Antrim is a beautiful part of the country. My grandparents lived in Larne, so not too far way for an afternoon's drive while visiting them.

I was interested to read your profile. I hope you don't break too many things lol.  Did your diagnosis come as a surprise or did it confirm what you already suspected?

• Sorry, that was meant to say 'None of my autistic children went to university....'

• hi just diagnosed. work in belfast live in antrim. everything is new to me 

• Heya, another Norn Irish one here :) Lucky us...... lol

• Hi Dinah, I'm also from Norn Iron - you have my sympathies lol.

• GHi Calvin&Hobbes Fan, thank you for your welcome and for telling me a  bit about yourself.  One of my autistic children went to university, but all are fans of Calvin&Hobbes. 

I trust you’re getting plenty of support at university.

Dinah

• Hi I am Mum to three adults on the autistic spectrum, all of whom are still living at home. Two have Asperger Syndrome and one has autism with learning difficulties. The three are very different from each other, but get on well together most of the time.

Looking forward to getting to know people in this community.

Hello Dinah! And welcome to the community!  I am autistic myself (with Asperger's Syndrome) and have three brothers myself but none of them have autism/ Asperger's syndrome (at least that I know of) as I do understand that late diagnosis is a real thing. I myself am living at home during term time (I am a student studying at a higher education institution) but live on campus during term time.

Hoping you have an enjoyable time in and around this community,

Calvin&Hobbes Fan