Understanding Partner who is high functioning autistic

Hello, I’m reaching out to the partners of this with autism.

I’m trying to understand but feel upset a lot of the time, it’s 3am and we’re in different rooms.....

Parents
  • Hi

I'm a middle aged married Asperger guy - what would you like to know?

• I feel as though he tries to lick holes in me and my past to try and differ away from his own issues.

he gets snappy with me and will tell me he doesn’t believe I love him. 

He also talks over me and doesn’t appear to listen ! 

• Hi KaylaShayla,

its been a while since you posted but if you’re still around we could talk.

We have recently discovered my partner has high functioning autism. It’s great he can chat on here too if he likes but I also would like to chat to partners of those with autism.

I have found it extremely difficult to live with him to the point recently I have been looking in to moving on and selling our home. It breaks my heart and I don’t want to give up everything I’ve worked so hard for but it’s impossible for us to enjoy time together and communicate. He doesn’t like doing anything so I find myself in tears a lot of the time wondering what it would be like to be in a loving relationship. There’s so much to it all and I’ve not spoken to anyone about. He is now getting angry/ resentful towards me as I start to speak about organising the house but he doesn’t understand how he’s making me feel.  

We have a 1 year old who I’ve learned has autism too so I have been through many emotions and I’m feeling very low just now.

Im also trying to understand like you but he is impossible most of the time. As you said he does not listen, I’m constantly telling him to listen. He is always talking over me in an argument so it’s impossible to speak without him interrupting.

Anyway if you’re still here we could chat.

I know I’ve spoken about myself a lot there and understand he will be feeling the same but it’s nice to talk to someone who may be in the same positron as you. 

• Hi!
    Sometimes it’s just easier to ignore it all and pretend everything is ok to save hurting anyone’s feelings and to save our money and home. It’s an extremely difficult situation and feel your pain. 
    If you ever need to talk give me a message!

• Hi!
    Sometimes it’s just easier to ignore it all and pretend everything is ok to save hurting anyone’s feelings and to save our money and home. It’s an extremely difficult situation and feel your pain. 
    If you ever need to talk give me a message!

Children
No Data