From "professional" to "autistic"... where do I go now?

I am qualified to help others, yet, I have been unable to do so since my diagnosis.

Parents
  • I'm sorry you feel like you have lost your confidence.

I'm sorry you feel unacceptable.

I'm professionally qualified too and I've not worked for 6+ years. Initially it upset me a lot. Initially I planned to go back. But actually I'd burned out too many times, I couldn't function in that environment long term. As the years have passed I've come to terms with the fact that I'm just unable to be well and work at the moment.

Getting my diagnosis has helped me understand why that is. Getting my diagnosis has helped me to understand myself. Getting my diagnosis has helped me to start to work out what I need in life to help me to function. Getting my diagnosis has helped me to work out what kind of things impair my ability to function.

I try to look at my diagnosis as a positive thing. Yes, my life is difficult. Yes, it's been 30 long years of misunderstood struggles. Yes, I can't be the professional, functioning, working adult I just thought I would be right now but that doesn't mean I'm unacceptable. It doesn't mean I'll never achieve those things again.

I guess my suggestion is to perhaps try to focus on what positives there are or might be in the future. I know that can be difficult when things feel bad but I'm sure you have lots of positives. You were once a working professional so you have the potential to do so again. Don't let your diagnosis define you, you are still you.

• Thank you.

My diagnosis is the underlying 'thing' that I've been unwittingly trying to tell people for yrs!!! For a decade I've been told it's 'depression and anxiety'.

My 'burn out' self seems to be reluctant to restart, yet again.

When your body physically stops, before you're mentally aware that's going to happen, mid work... in front of colleagues...

It's taking time x

• Thank you.

My diagnosis is the underlying 'thing' that I've been unwittingly trying to tell people for yrs!!! For a decade I've been told it's 'depression and anxiety'.

My 'burn out' self seems to be reluctant to restart, yet again.

When your body physically stops, before you're mentally aware that's going to happen, mid work... in front of colleagues...

It's taking time x

Children
No Data