Hi all, would appreciate your opinions

Hello!  My names Sarah and I have a question for you all.  Could someone be autistic and not recognise it?  My son (he's in his late 20's) definitely shows traits.  He fixates on things and is meticulous about facts, he will look up words you use and quote you the dictionary definition in the middle of a conversation especially when trying to prove a point.   He has a massive capacity for learning and absorbing information, he can quote back to you a conversation word for word.  He doesn't recognise social prompts or body language, even when told clearly to go away and stop talking he will ignore it and continue to 'quote' fact at you.  I have mentioned to him that I think he needs to go to the GP as I feel he may be on the spectrum, three days later he came back to me with so much information as to why he definitely isn't on the spectrum but has ignored everything I have pointed out about why I feel he is!!

There are problems at work with his work mates who continuously run out of patience with him and make snide comments about him.  I don't know how to move forward from here as he is adamant there is nothing wrong!  Advise please :)  Thank you in advance and sorry for waffling!!    

Parents
  • Yes absolutely. Lots of people on this forum have written that they didn't realise till someone pointed it out and then got diagnosed.

If a person hasn't spent lots of time round an autistic person or their traits perhaps aren't as obvious as the "classic" traits then they may not recognise them as autistic traits.

There is also the self doubt. I did recognise myself as autistic but very regularly thought no that can't be me. I can do this so I can't be autistic.

It is a big thing to realise you are autistic and can take a lot to process. It can be especially difficult if the persons perception of autism is one certain way.

If he likes to prove points. Could you get him to humour you by taking the aq test online. This can be a good indicator as to whether you should pursue a diagnosis or not. If he scores highly it may help him realise that perhaps he could be. The other thing that could be useful is to write down his traits in the 4 categories - communication, social, rigidity of thought and sensory. It was the moment I did this when I realised it must be autism.

Be patient and gentle with him. It's very difficult to realise that there is something neurologically different about you. You have given him the thought now, although he doesn't want to know about it at the moment, that thought may grow and he may start to realise.

Good luck to you both

• Actually, the AQ test identifies me as not Autistic but the current initial diagnosis (Psychologist and three school teachers) is of course I am.  In background reading I can identify the traits in my e.g. taking things literally but not to the extreme as say Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man.  

Take for example someone says "pull your finger out" I do nothing but someone says you are normal/autistic then OK I am.  What then happens is that one says I am normal and another says I am autistic - CONFUSION as I cannot be both!!!

• Actually, the AQ test identifies me as not Autistic but the current initial diagnosis (Psychologist and three school teachers) is of course I am.  In background reading I can identify the traits in my e.g. taking things literally but not to the extreme as say Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man.  

Take for example someone says "pull your finger out" I do nothing but someone says you are normal/autistic then OK I am.  What then happens is that one says I am normal and another says I am autistic - CONFUSION as I cannot be both!!!

Children