Newly diagnosed 19 year old daughter

Hi just joined. Hoping to glean as much information as possible to help my daughter. It’s been a tough 7 years with all sorts of diagnoses which didn’t quite fit. The thing I am most bitter about is the fact that psychiatrists, following guidelines, are told that eye contact is the be all and end all. I tried for years to get them to acknowledge her autistic traits but was always told her eye contact was fine.  How come I could do a 2 second google search to find out that eye contact is NOT the be all and end all. I’m so utterly devastated for her. She’s been on antidepressants and ended up on quetiapine which is a disgusting drug which just made her into a zombie and left her very overweight and with dreadful reflux. And I had to take her out of school at 15 because she couldn’t cope. She couldn’t even write her name anymore when she left school as she was so damaged. So she has no qualifications and no confidence still to even think about it. She can’t work because she can’t commit. Just day to day life is hard doing nothing. I’m hoping the diagnosis will help but it’s only been a couple of weeks. 

Parents
  • Hi, It is very difficult for people with A/S to make friends and communicate with people or to fit in the way they want to.  You are not necessarily on the wave length of people around you and the tendency is to be directly or indirectly ignored.  You need to keep practising and learning from Neuro-typical people about social skills. If it helps, a group of us with A/S recently started a project to help us (an other people) make friends. it is a totally free site (no subscriptions or fees) for people with Autism. its called

http://www.autismfriendship.com

I hope it helps people make friends and talk about their struggles... 

• Hi, It is very difficult for people with A/S to make friends and communicate with people or to fit in the way they want to.  You are not necessarily on the wave length of people around you and the tendency is to be directly or indirectly ignored.  You need to keep practising and learning from Neuro-typical people about social skills. If it helps, a group of us with A/S recently started a project to help us (an other people) make friends. it is a totally free site (no subscriptions or fees) for people with Autism. its called

http://www.autismfriendship.com

I hope it helps people make friends and talk about their struggles... 

Children
No Data