Adult female looking for an ASD diagnosis

Hi Everyone, 

I'm 24 years old. I have just joined this community as I am currently attempting to get an autism diagnosis. After a whole lifetime of dealing with severe mental health issues and misdiagnoses, I finally discovered that the 'symptoms' of autism/aspergers that females experience described me completely. I am now attempting to navigate the process of accepting myself and finding a diagnosis and appropriate support in my community. On one hand, I am so relieved to have finally realised why I have always struggled, and to have found something that fits my experience in the world. On the other hand, I have started obsessing over every little detail from my past and trying to connect the dots (I'm a little obsessive) and I'm finding the whole situation a little overwhelming. I don't know anyone else who has dealt with this before. I would be so grateful for any advice from anyone, or to hear from people who share the same concerns and worries. I'm so nervous for the future, and I have no idea what I'm doing! 

Love from J  

Parents
  • Hi there,

Both articles were incredibly useful to me so thank you.

I actually asked my counsellor today (who I was sent to see when rediagnosed with an Anxiety Disorder/depression) what she thought in regards to the potential of me having Autism. She stated that through the nine hours we had spent talking, she wouldn't think so because if I was I wouldn't have been able to engage with her the way I do and that I wouldn't be as good a teacher as I am if I was.

I can understand where she is coming from with a traditional set of autism symptoms, however I know that I score highly when taking diagnostic tests and that it becomes more apparent when I am at home and don't need to be 'normal'. I feel like I've learnt how to behave in the way that's expected (maintaining eye contact, discussing feelings, being caring towards students...) and that it didn't necessarily come naturally to me. I'm good at connecting with a person one to one or in small groups but anything else is difficult.

Is this typical of autistic females and realisticly, what chance do I have of getting a diagnosis in the UK?

Thanks,

Louise

• I got diagnosed a week ago. I'm 46 and have been successfully teaching for over 20 years. So yes, you can be a good teacher and be autistic. I too have lots of learned behaviours and I'm sure a lot of people who know me would never think I would be autistic. Most teachers would say teaching is an act anyway, but for me underneath that is also the act of "appearing normal". then underneath that is the real me.

• Can I ask where abouts you teach? I currently teach in quite a tough school in West London (thankfully out of there soon) and I find that schools (especially this one) aren't perceptive or understanding with teachers that have mental health conditions. Due to a number of reason (recent bereavement/stress of the job) I have taken some time off this year that lead to my timetable being changed drastically whilst I was away. Is there anything that can really be done in this sort of environment to prevent this as I went from teaching the subject that I loved, alongside my main subject to having that subject taken away.

• Can I ask where abouts you teach? I currently teach in quite a tough school in West London (thankfully out of there soon) and I find that schools (especially this one) aren't perceptive or understanding with teachers that have mental health conditions. Due to a number of reason (recent bereavement/stress of the job) I have taken some time off this year that lead to my timetable being changed drastically whilst I was away. Is there anything that can really be done in this sort of environment to prevent this as I went from teaching the subject that I loved, alongside my main subject to having that subject taken away.

Children
No Data