Adult female looking for an ASD diagnosis

Hi Everyone, 

I'm 24 years old. I have just joined this community as I am currently attempting to get an autism diagnosis. After a whole lifetime of dealing with severe mental health issues and misdiagnoses, I finally discovered that the 'symptoms' of autism/aspergers that females experience described me completely. I am now attempting to navigate the process of accepting myself and finding a diagnosis and appropriate support in my community. On one hand, I am so relieved to have finally realised why I have always struggled, and to have found something that fits my experience in the world. On the other hand, I have started obsessing over every little detail from my past and trying to connect the dots (I'm a little obsessive) and I'm finding the whole situation a little overwhelming. I don't know anyone else who has dealt with this before. I would be so grateful for any advice from anyone, or to hear from people who share the same concerns and worries. I'm so nervous for the future, and I have no idea what I'm doing! 

Love from J  

Parents
  • Welcome. My advice to you would be to have faith in yourself and your own feelings. You have connected the dots and found out the truth about yourself, as so many of us here have done, and much earlier in life than many of us, which is to your advantage. By all means, seek a diagnosis, but don't put your life on hold waiting for one.

• Welcome. My advice to you would be to have faith in yourself and your own feelings. You have connected the dots and found out the truth about yourself, as so many of us here have done, and much earlier in life than many of us, which is to your advantage. By all means, seek a diagnosis, but don't put your life on hold waiting for one.

Children
  • Hi DragonCat, (loving the username btw) .

Thanks for the supportive message, everyone in the NAS community has been so lovely. I'm attempting to carry on as things are, however I have always found it extremely difficult to live day to day and at the moment am having at least one meltdown a day. It's so hard trying to find the right support and to not give up on myself, especially when I don't even fully understand why I struggle like I do.

Thanks again. 

J