Adult female looking for an ASD diagnosis

Hi Everyone, 

I'm 24 years old. I have just joined this community as I am currently attempting to get an autism diagnosis. After a whole lifetime of dealing with severe mental health issues and misdiagnoses, I finally discovered that the 'symptoms' of autism/aspergers that females experience described me completely. I am now attempting to navigate the process of accepting myself and finding a diagnosis and appropriate support in my community. On one hand, I am so relieved to have finally realised why I have always struggled, and to have found something that fits my experience in the world. On the other hand, I have started obsessing over every little detail from my past and trying to connect the dots (I'm a little obsessive) and I'm finding the whole situation a little overwhelming. I don't know anyone else who has dealt with this before. I would be so grateful for any advice from anyone, or to hear from people who share the same concerns and worries. I'm so nervous for the future, and I have no idea what I'm doing! 

Love from J  

Parents
  • Hi J,

Welcome to the community.  Lots of kindred spirits here.

I got my diagnosis 3 years ago, aged 56 - like you, after years of mental health problems and misdiagnoses.  It was an overwhelming experience to finally get that piece of paper, and be able to look back on my life and make sense of it.

A female Aspie friend told me that I don't come across as a typical male Aspie.  When I asked her what she meant, she directed me to this article.  You might find it interesting.  I printed it off and went through it, highlighting the bits that applied to me.  It would have been easier to highlight the bits that didn't apply to me!  I'm still not sure how I differ from the average Aspie male - but I certainly tick all these boxes:

Aspienwomen

All the best,

Tom

• Hi J,

Welcome to the community.  Lots of kindred spirits here.

I got my diagnosis 3 years ago, aged 56 - like you, after years of mental health problems and misdiagnoses.  It was an overwhelming experience to finally get that piece of paper, and be able to look back on my life and make sense of it.

A female Aspie friend told me that I don't come across as a typical male Aspie.  When I asked her what she meant, she directed me to this article.  You might find it interesting.  I printed it off and went through it, highlighting the bits that applied to me.  It would have been easier to highlight the bits that didn't apply to me!  I'm still not sure how I differ from the average Aspie male - but I certainly tick all these boxes:

Aspienwomen

All the best,

Tom

Children