Adult female looking for an ASD diagnosis

Hi Everyone, 

I'm 24 years old. I have just joined this community as I am currently attempting to get an autism diagnosis. After a whole lifetime of dealing with severe mental health issues and misdiagnoses, I finally discovered that the 'symptoms' of autism/aspergers that females experience described me completely. I am now attempting to navigate the process of accepting myself and finding a diagnosis and appropriate support in my community. On one hand, I am so relieved to have finally realised why I have always struggled, and to have found something that fits my experience in the world. On the other hand, I have started obsessing over every little detail from my past and trying to connect the dots (I'm a little obsessive) and I'm finding the whole situation a little overwhelming. I don't know anyone else who has dealt with this before. I would be so grateful for any advice from anyone, or to hear from people who share the same concerns and worries. I'm so nervous for the future, and I have no idea what I'm doing! 

Love from J  

Parents
  • Hi there,

I am also new to this forum and I'm undergoing the same experience as you. Throughout my life I have been diagnosed with a multitude of mental health conditions and it was only due to my partner (who has worked closely with autistic people) that I became aware that my separate conditions are actually most likely undiagnosed autism. Especially when you include other 'symptoms' that haven't been considered during diagnosis in the past such as hypersensitivity to touch, loud sounds and pain, tendency to become obsessively involved in the things I enjoy, etc.

Hopefully we can both find the help we're looking for.

Louise

• Hi Louise, 

Thanks for your reply. It's nice to hear from people in the same situation. I've had the same problem, I think sometimes doctors only see what they are already looking for (eg. BPD/OCD) instead of looking at the situation as a whole. I have never agreed with any diagnosis and was always left feeling alone and that there must be something fundamentally wrong with me. As a child I actually thought I had been placed on the earth by aliens Joy because I felt so different and isolated. My meltdowns have always been diagnosed as panic attacks, and before I realised what my aggressive hand flapping and other stimming behaviours were I was told by mental health professionals that I needed to take responsibility for my actions as I was completely 'of sound mind' and had 'capacity' and was therefore responsable for my actions. 

Good luck in your search for a diagnosis and for support, I wish you all the best. 

• Hi Louise, 

Thanks for your reply. It's nice to hear from people in the same situation. I've had the same problem, I think sometimes doctors only see what they are already looking for (eg. BPD/OCD) instead of looking at the situation as a whole. I have never agreed with any diagnosis and was always left feeling alone and that there must be something fundamentally wrong with me. As a child I actually thought I had been placed on the earth by aliens Joy because I felt so different and isolated. My meltdowns have always been diagnosed as panic attacks, and before I realised what my aggressive hand flapping and other stimming behaviours were I was told by mental health professionals that I needed to take responsibility for my actions as I was completely 'of sound mind' and had 'capacity' and was therefore responsable for my actions. 

Good luck in your search for a diagnosis and for support, I wish you all the best. 

Children
No Data