Marriage difficulties - help!

Hi all,

I am married to a lovely man who is (non officially diagnosed) High Functioning autistic. This came about 3 to 4 years into our marriage when we attended counselling for problems we were hitting and although he will not go and get diagnosed he is acceptant. I learnt to understand and adapt , dare I say compromise my needs for his. However we have really hit a bad patch and I'm so worn out through the constant 'take' and no give. He's also suffering from ED (and won't go to the doctor - too embarrassed) which has had a massive impact on us too.  He' behaviour is so childlike - sulky, stroppy, unhelpful ... but I know he thinks the world of me.  I feel like I'm holding onto our relationship by a thread. I love him so much but its so stressful. I have asked for a kiss and a hug every morning and evening but you would have though I'd asked for moon! I suppose the next stage is counselling - any recommendations? He won't go back to RELATE as they were the ones who 'diagnoses' him in our counselling session which didn't help !

Willing to do anything but the strain and loneliness is really sad.

Parents
  • It appears, from the small amount of information you have given, that you got into a pattern, relatively early on in your marriage, where you learned to understand him, adapt yourself to his needs while compromising your own. 

This seems to have worked for a number of years. However, you are now experiencing the effects of ignoring your own needs in favour of somebody else’s, which will naturally have an impact on him.

You gave a short summary of his (most dominant?) behaviour patterns. For example, he is childlike in his behaviour, sulky, stroppy and unhelpful. As you have been growing in your understanding of your husband, is this type of behaviour new? If so, could it be as a reaction to you’re new behaviour, i.e. you are no longer happy to give without return? 

For example, you said that you are worn out from the strategy that previously worked to help you both enjoy a harmonious relationship ~ i.e. your decision to forgoe your needs in order to meet his. 

Are you saying this strategy is no longer working or is it that you are no longer able to sustain and maintain it to the levels you previously achieved therefore it’s not so much that the strategy isn’t working but that you are no longer able to work it? 

If that is the case then yes, you are in need of a new strategy. You need to find a different way to be understanding of his needs and to find new ways of meeting them that you can sustain without getting worn out, which is bound to have repercussions on his behaviour, so you not getting worn out is very important. Autistic people often need consistency in their care and any change to the care can be very unsettling to say the least. I would also strongly suggest that you also pay attention to your own needs as not meeting them can wear you out as well. 

It sounds like you’ve switched tactics without giving him any prior notice, or you may have given him notice, it’s not clear. For example, you state that you have been asking him for a kiss and a hug, morning and evening (i.e. you have started to ask him to now meet some of your needs) ~ is this something new? I know I’d find that incredibly stressful and if not addressed, it could end the relationship, if it was something my partner started to do out of the blue, without warning and without a clear explanation as to why they wanted me to do that. 

You said you’re holding onto the relationship with a thread. It’s not clear what you mean by that. 

Is this the first time in your relationship that you have asked him to meet some of your needs? For example, have you asked him for kisses and hugs morning and evening throughout your marriage or is this something new? Have you always wanted these things but you have never asked before? None of this is clear. It would definitely freak me out if my partner suddenly asked me to do this. It would have the opposite effect on me. I wouldn’t want to go anywhere near them. Not because I don’t like kissing or hugging them but that I wouldn’t understand why they suddenly wanted me to do it and my PDA (pathological demand avoidance) would go through the roof to the point I would rather end my relationship than be forced into doing something I didn’t want to do or that I didn’t understand. If they explained it to me in a way I could understand and gave me enough time to process it etc, I’m sure I could manage it but not if it came out of the blue. 

Have you told your husband that the strain of meeting his needs while ignoring your own is getting too much for you now and that you would like to try a different way of doing things? Maybe you would like to meet less of his needs and for a period of time at least, you would like him to give less attention to his needs and more attention to meeting yours? 

For example, would you like him to meet your need to not feel lonely? Have you been very clear with him how he could do that?  We often (aspies) need very specific instructions as we can’t always guess what’s needed from physical cues etc. 

Is the strain coming from meeting his needs and if so, could you maybe consider not meeting them for a while, until you feel better or maybe he could get some support from somewhere else so you don’t have to do that anymore? 

It sounds like you both love each other very much and have so far been successful in your marriage. These are good signs. You said he was accepting of the (informal) diagnosis yet he holds resentment towards them for uncovering it. Maybe he’s not as accepting as he claims. 

It sounds like you might need to put your focus on yourself for a while. Meet your own needs, get lots of rest, look after yourself, bring some fun into your life maybe, spend some time with friends and family or start going out more, get an interest. I’m sorry, I’m not much help with this one, feeling lonely, as I don’t feel lonely so I don’t know what a person would do to not feel lonely. As for the sadness, do you feel sad all the time or just when you think about your husband and your marriage? Maybe you need a break from thinking about it and him and spend some time looking after yourself. Is he able to function at home and elsewhere without your input for a while so you can take some time to look after yourself? Everything looks different when we come at it from a place of rest and happiness rather than stress and sadness. 

• Thank you for your thoughtful and considerate response. I'm very grateful for the support you and others are showing.  I believe he is depressed and that is worth exploring.  We used to be regularly intimate and cuddle nightly with regular big hugs. Now nothing which is why I asked him for a kiss and cuddle to remind him that this has always been there between us but not now.  He's gone through a period of unemployment but quickly gets jobs but had nothing steady which has wrecked the routine. This is where both our stress levels has gone up because he is not IT friendly and relies on me. Demanding is any understatement and strops if I say no because I'm tired or busy doing everything else. I work full time too and not getting any help at all. This all makes me think you are right... He's depressed.  I sent my message in desperation can't think you enough for the response. 

• It’s difficult to near on impossible to see solutions or the situation clearly when we’re feeling depressed and stressed out and we’re the ones who are actually in the situation! It’s easier for others to see looking in from the outside but what they see might not match the reality but it can sometimes help us to get clearer. 

Do you feel like you might be a bit depressed and need some time out? Your situation sounds very demanding and without the comfort of his physical support (kissses etc), which were once an important part of your relationship,  I can understand why you’re feeling lonely and sad. 

Just from these two short posts, it sounds like you have provided him with a lot of support which he has come to rely on and when you can’t deliver, he doesn’t know what to do so reverts to childhood behaviour ~ maybe this worked for him when he was a kid?

Having such big changes in routine is a big big thing for many autistic people, it certainly is for me. It can take me months to fully process the changes. 

It sounds like you both could do with some separate support. Him with his routine etc and coping with the changes in his working pattern and you to get more rest, relaxation and some joy or something to try and lighten the atmosphere. 

You must be incredibly important to him, I would love and adore anyone who did for me even a fraction of what you do for your husband but there has to be a balance. 

I’m sure you will come through this, there’s so much love and understanding, thoughtfulness and kindness between you both. It seems (from the outside looking in with only a smidgeon of info) that you have been the  one to hold it all together and now you are less able to do that, it feels like it’s all crashing in around you but I’m sure it’s not. It will feel like that but I’m sure you can come through this but it will be difficult if he can’t see that without your support (to the degree you used to give) he will need to learn some new coping strategies. 

Are you saying that he’s depressed and it is his depression that is causing you to feel stressed, lonely and sad? It’s not too clear. 

Sometimes though, just putting it out there and sharing it with others (as you have on here) can be all the help you need. I’m glad it is helping you in some way. 

Maybe instead of the kisses you ask him to get a job, save up and take you on a nice month long Mediterranean cruise. Apparently they’re very enjoyable and relaxing Blush 

Best of luck. My biggest wish for you (for want of a better word) is that you start to take more care of your needs as well. Whenever we compromise ourselves and our needs, in any way, no matter what the reason, it will only last for so long before we start to feel the negative effects of that. It’s crucial we look after ourselves, no matter how much we love and care for somebody else. Even on the aeroplane parents are urged to put the oxygen masks on themselves before they put it on their children. 

• Good luck to you blue Ray you sound like someone who is lingered and considerate. I hippie toy find peace and love x

Reply Children