So different from others

My best friend is having a house party tonight and didn't invite me. I am really hurt that she didn't but I know in my heart I would not do well at a house party with my autism. I need my own space and a quite, warm comfy space to think about things. So I know I wouldn't have gone anyway. I would rather be curled up reading a book. But I still feel hurt and wonder if I wasn't autistic, maybe I would be a better person. Maybe I would have friends. It just makes me feel even more different from everyone to not be invited out, even if I know I wouldn't go. It gets me so down and very unhappy with myself. What should I do?

At parties like these, all the girls seem to be getting with the boys, but I am totally terrified of this! And again this makes me feel stupid and unable to accept why I am so different. My mum continuously tells me different is good but for a 16 year old in school with mild autism it so isn't. This might not make sense but I'm upset about all of this and didn't know where to turn to. I hope someone can help x

Parents
  • Hello jessicaaaaa I am an older male so feel I don't have an answer for you,All I can say is what your feeling is very much similar to me when I was your age,before I go off coarse I am happily married with two beautiful grown daughters so proof that life can get better!  

Please do not feel you must get in with the boys,you may get hurt emotionally, when you finally meet mr right he must earn your companionship,Never rush into anything serious,I for one have misread people thinking they are nice genuine people only to be disappointed. All this sounds depressing but honestly things will work out for you.I was devastated when my long term best mate suddenly found a girl he liked,he just forgot I exhisted,no hint,no explanation he just cleared off. Basically just being neurotypical in his behaviour.we were 17 at the time.

I hung about with his mates but never felt like I was welcome.I knew an older work colleague who really was a nice bloke,his wife set up a date for me and a girl.we have been happily married now for twenty plus years.

not being autistic wouldn't be any better,just crazy normal stuff. You are super intelligent and like all the others on the spectrum here your words and there's show absolutely show how caring and emotional autistic people are.please try to accept things are what they are,focus on things that make you happy. One thing for sure is your not stupid,take care and I hope some of our awesome female members will have some useful information for you.brian.

• Hello jessicaaaaa I am an older male so feel I don't have an answer for you,All I can say is what your feeling is very much similar to me when I was your age,before I go off coarse I am happily married with two beautiful grown daughters so proof that life can get better!  

Please do not feel you must get in with the boys,you may get hurt emotionally, when you finally meet mr right he must earn your companionship,Never rush into anything serious,I for one have misread people thinking they are nice genuine people only to be disappointed. All this sounds depressing but honestly things will work out for you.I was devastated when my long term best mate suddenly found a girl he liked,he just forgot I exhisted,no hint,no explanation he just cleared off. Basically just being neurotypical in his behaviour.we were 17 at the time.

I hung about with his mates but never felt like I was welcome.I knew an older work colleague who really was a nice bloke,his wife set up a date for me and a girl.we have been happily married now for twenty plus years.

not being autistic wouldn't be any better,just crazy normal stuff. You are super intelligent and like all the others on the spectrum here your words and there's show absolutely show how caring and emotional autistic people are.please try to accept things are what they are,focus on things that make you happy. One thing for sure is your not stupid,take care and I hope some of our awesome female members will have some useful information for you.brian.

Children
No Data