my 2 yr old son is awaiting diagnosis

Hi everyone

im hoping joining here, I will be able to talk to other parents who are going through the same thing.  I feel very alone as friends & most family members do not seem to see what I see or are going through. I am constantly made to feel I am a drama queen & he is not any different to other children.

Im not sure where to start really but I noticed when my son was 16 months old that something wasnt quite right as he hardly ever looked at me or anyone else. I remember typing in 'why wont my baby look at me' & then started reading into things & other symptoms of autism came up & I slowly realised he had alot of other 'signs' too. It was hard to judge though as he was still a baby & other people were just saying hes too young to worry about anything like that & as he is my only child, I didnt know what I was talking about to be frank.

At 18 months old, we took him to the hospital as he had tonsilitis (we thought it was more serious than that at the time) and 3 doctors began asking questions relating to autism. It was at that point I knew straightaway my previous concerns were confirmed & it broke my heart. They advised me to see our family Doctor.

We did this & we were referred to an Autism Consultant & since then we are now going through the diagnosis process with different assessments being done all the time.

Although we havent had the formal diagnosis yet,we know our son has autism and I thought I had accepted this & come to terms with it all. But just this week we were completing the DLA form with our sons keyworker & it broke my heart all over again realising how different our little boy is to other children his age etc.

As he is getting older it is becoming more noticeable 'to the world' & us & im finding it really hard & would love to talk to others who understand the struggle.

His sleep is just getting worse (he can survive on 3 hours a night sometimes) & he has never slept through the night! 

His eye contact has improved slightly with his dad & I, but he will not look at strangers or family members that enter the room. He will not react to his name being called. He has severe speech delay & only says 'mumumum' or 'dadada' but not in context. He likes to jump up & down repetively & mostly done on the sofa! He will not feed himself & throws the spoon or plate if put infront of him. He will only use a specific teated bottle for all drinks. The ONLY food he will pick up is crisps.

He seems to be fine with change (we have moved 3 times inc different counties) & its like hes been oblivious to any home changes. & he also likes mess, so not the usual there with typical autism traits.

Sorry if I have gone on here but I wanted to give our story & see if anyone else has gone through similar & how do you deal with things?

thanks for reading

Parents
  • nic12court, please be aware that not all autistic people identify as 'sufferers'. Many of us are proud to be autistic and wouldn't be otherwise if given the choice. I feel lucky to be born autistic.

I would also say that the eye contact thing is something that really bothers neurotypical people and they focus on getting us to do it. We can't really see why. Its unpleasant for many of us, even painful. If your son would rather not do it then please let him find his own comfort level with it. You may see eye contact as 'good behaviour', we find it painful and unpleasant.

I hope your son grows up a happy and fulfilled autistic man and thats a worthwhile goal to aim for. He won't be neurotypical though, ever, just as a kitten will never grow up to be a dog.

• nic12court, please be aware that not all autistic people identify as 'sufferers'. Many of us are proud to be autistic and wouldn't be otherwise if given the choice. I feel lucky to be born autistic.

I would also say that the eye contact thing is something that really bothers neurotypical people and they focus on getting us to do it. We can't really see why. Its unpleasant for many of us, even painful. If your son would rather not do it then please let him find his own comfort level with it. You may see eye contact as 'good behaviour', we find it painful and unpleasant.

I hope your son grows up a happy and fulfilled autistic man and thats a worthwhile goal to aim for. He won't be neurotypical though, ever, just as a kitten will never grow up to be a dog.

Children
No Data