Someone please help me - single mum

Hi I am new here.

I have a 5 year old son and I am a single parent.

My son has not yet been diagnosed with Autism but I am looking for advice, I have researched Autism fully including videos and reading numbourous blogs.

But I am at an end, I suffer from Bipolar myself and I am struggling with getting a diagnosis and dealing with my sons everyday behaviour.

All his problems started when he was 2 years old, his speech was delayed until he was 4 years old, he was in nappies until he was 4, Hes always struggled with making friends and has always been high risk for risking things - jumping off things at ridiculas heights, running into roads, he has and still has issues with reconising safety.

He also used to get so angry and stressed with himself he would hit himself in the face, smack his head on the back of his car seat, scratch his face - it was upsetting to watch him do this.

Now hes at a new school who has lots of help for children with special needs, but he cannot write, read or colour, he cannot even process how to hold a pen correctly, they have just said that his speech is amazing and his memory for remembering logos and words but his knowledge of how to use these words and what they mean is missing.

It just upsets me that I cant do anything to help him, he cant even ride a bike or scooter to do anything that any normal child can because he just doesnt understand it.

I waited 2 years to see CAHMS, many times in the last 4 years social services have been involved because I cannot cope, he cries for hours and hours, he gets confused and I dont know what he wants, even if i hug him it doesnt help.

Social services everytime have said they cant help us only CAHMS can... A month ago we had an assessment with them, the whole time they asked me questions about my son who was in the room!! They did no assesssment on him just asked me a million questions about MY past and MY mental health, I was so angry this was ment to be about my son, I started crying and shouted at her becasue she said they dont diagnose children until they are 10 now and they are very reluctant to pyut a label on this.

They just said he had been through a tramatic past due to my mental illness which isnt true he has been spolied and loved more than anything.

Im just so scared because hes moving up to year one in sept and he cant do anything, even sitting on a carpet and following directions is hard, hes able to understand only 1 worded questions and 1 worded anwswers so etc. when his teacher asks what he wants for Mains at school. ie. Chilli, chicken or spagetti he will always pick the first one everytime even though that may not be the one he wants, he is only processing that 1 item and cannot process the rest and a way I normally do it is by showing him pictures.

I am just at my end as a parent I feel like no one appart from his school are helping me, between 7pm and 12pm bedtimes are upsetting and I cant cope, The last week I didnt once have a bath myself because I couldnt!

So I spent everyday going to college stinking and having to use dry hair shampoo to get rid of my greessy hair!

Im just finding it so hard, Im hoping I have found the right place by being on here and im hoping that anypone who can share any stories of what simillarties they have and solutions can help me..

Thanks

Rebecca

Parents
  • Hi, SEND Learning support assistant here! 

Please, share your observations and tricks with the school/class teacher, they are soooo helpful! Some parents email EVERYDAY to tell class team about kids' afternoons and mornings so we can act accordingly during school time and staff can do the same to help you. Work closely with your class team, your good relationship with them will help you and your son tremendously. 

If you noticed that showing your son pictures to pick dinner works best, it can be easily replicated in school- with time, when your son's ability to process improves this way can be then adapted accordingly. 

Inform the class teacher that you struggle with bed times as well, they may help you with creating routine that will work for him. I would personally try creating a time table (with pictures) and put it in a visible place, so your son knows what should happen and when. Strong routine creates a feeling of safety and helps with transitions. 

I know it is only a small chunk of your problems, but I think even a small step forward is always a step forward. 

I hope that you will push through the system and you get the support you need. 

Remember to take care of yourself in the meantime, you are important too! 

All the best to you and your son! 

• A really lovely reply, but the thread is over 9 years old - always worth checking the date stamps :) 

Reply Children