Cookies YUM! share your recipes here!

Bonus points for vegan, wheat and sweet sugar alternatives!

Parents Reply Children
  • Is it just wheat flour you can't have, as I have have a recipe that uses barley flour? It was reinturpreted by a baking archaeologist from a recipe found on the wall of a tomb from Ancient Egypt.

Beloved of Selkit

2oz barley flour

2oz salted butter

4oz ground almonds

2oz honey

1 egg

2tsps rose water

2tsps of almond oil or a couple of drops of almond essence

A few whole almonds for decoration

Heat oven to 180.C I think thats about gas 4.

Mix dry ingredients, melt butter and honey together and pour into dry ingredients and mix well.  Add the egg and essence or oil and rose water and stir in well. You may need to add a little more flour if the mixture seems to loose, it should drop off a spoon on dollops. Take teaspoons of the mixture and roll into a ball and place on a greased baking sheet or one lined with baking parchment, push a whole almond in the middle and repeat until all the mixture is used and bake for about 20 mins, they may take a little longer. Remove from the oven and put on a rack to cool, eat whilst still just about warm. They don't store well and go soggy and slightly bitter, so only make as many as you'll eat in one go, for me thst would be all of them as they're very morrish. I could see ancient Egyptians eating these with a glass of date wine or something, a bit like a proto ameretti biscuit.