Cookies YUM! share your recipes here!

Bonus points for vegan, wheat and sweet sugar alternatives!

• tnx. I'm sticking to stevia for now, I guess. It's the one that lowers the blood sugar.

• Uhane, I was unsure if the mention of caster sugar in Rach91's comment had confused you. If so, it is what you may possibly know as 'superfine' sugar.

• Is it just wheat flour you can't have, as I have have a recipe that uses barley flour? It was reinturpreted by a baking archaeologist from a recipe found on the wall of a tomb from Ancient Egypt.

Beloved of Selkit

2oz barley flour

2oz salted butter

4oz ground almonds

2oz honey

1 egg

2tsps rose water

2tsps of almond oil or a couple of drops of almond essence

A few whole almonds for decoration

Heat oven to 180.C I think thats about gas 4.

Mix dry ingredients, melt butter and honey together and pour into dry ingredients and mix well.  Add the egg and essence or oil and rose water and stir in well. You may need to add a little more flour if the mixture seems to loose, it should drop off a spoon on dollops. Take teaspoons of the mixture and roll into a ball and place on a greased baking sheet or one lined with baking parchment, push a whole almond in the middle and repeat until all the mixture is used and bake for about 20 mins, they may take a little longer. Remove from the oven and put on a rack to cool, eat whilst still just about warm. They don't store well and go soggy and slightly bitter, so only make as many as you'll eat in one go, for me thst would be all of them as they're very morrish. I could see ancient Egyptians eating these with a glass of date wine or something, a bit like a proto ameretti biscuit.

• castor sugar, eh? I will investigate. thanks

• Ok I’ve got one I’ve got a vegan cookery book from a music festival please excuse the name the recipes in the book were a bit rude lol.

lemon f…y flap cake. 
    water or vegan milk I would recommend almond milk, flour, caster sugar, lemon juice and for extra flavour vanilla essence. 
    I think that’s the recipe I’m not a 100% sure tho I don’t have the book on hand right now but if you want the proper recipe and the measurements let me know and I’ll find the book. 

• many thanks. Ginger is another fav! Recipe looks easy.

What would you suggest for sugar and wheat alternatives? Xylotol is nice but pricey . Stevia the same. Limited diet, me.

• I make sparkled ginger cookies frequently-they are soo nice and they're vegan.

I got the recipe from this site-gives ingredients required-and baking instructions. They taste amazing when done! Stuck out tongue

https://vegancooking.livejournal.com/3312243.html

• I like chocolate. And those little french lemon merangue finger cookies we used to call "Flying saucers".

The thing I work on the hardest is the flour. I have tries lots of alternatives to wheat wich I can't digest.

They keep coming up with new ones . My most successful alternative, for chocolate is oat flour. for other things it's just too gooey. There is a casaba flour I want to try...

• thank you. I'll try this. I am in the middle of a move. soon.

• wow I bet it did! They say they have found honey from 2000 years ago in sealed jars in caves and it was still good! cool! I can do that thanks. I've been using stevia.

• I made cookies from raw honey instead of sugar. I put the cookies into a ziplock bag and placed them in the fridge, expecting them to get condensation and eventually spoil in a week, but that never happened. The cookies stayed good for weeks,  which surprised me. The cookie was about 60% honey, and honey has some kind of antibacterial property, and maybe that preserved the cookie. But honey isn't exactly vegan. 

Maybe I'll try making cookies from maple syrup sometime, although I don't think it'll be as sweet. I bought maple syrup sugar to try it, just to sprinkle on top of things, but it's not as sweet as regular sugar, and a lot more expensive. 

• 450g oil or melted butter

240g brown sugar

240g white sugar

6 tsb vanilla extract

3 eggs 

700g plain flour

1.5 tsp of bicarbonate of soda

1 level tsp of salt

600g white chocolate chips

300g dried cranberries 

1. Mix sugar and oil together

2. Add eggs and vanilla

3. Add flour, bicarbonate, salt

4. Add chocolate chips

170 degrees 

13-18 mins.

• Nope, the only biscuits I really like are Lidl's plain chocolate digestives. I don't really have a sweet tooth, although I will risk the feeling of my teeth disolving for a slice of treacle tart!